Riding Lawn Mowers

Who makes the Best 1-2 Acre riding lawn mower. Cost warranty life cycle..
Check past 2 months issues of Consumer Reports magazine. #1 - John Deere, #2 - Troy Bilt, #3 - Craftsman; there arevarious models, depending upon what features you want.
Items to consider: budget, size of mowing deck (wider the better: 42-inch vs. 48 inch), available accessories (attachement point to tractor (low vs high)), manual gear vs automatic; horsepower (the bigger is NOT always the better), ergonomics (easy to reach controls - levers, switches not in your way), & is the seat back high enough to support your back (high back is better than low back). *******************************************

stevey wrote:

you willing to spend? How much is comfort worth to you? How about ease of maintenance? Durability? Can your back handle a rough ride, or are you willing to spend extra for a very good seat? Willing to spend the extra for a quiet riding, liquid-cooled engine, or is a noisier air-cooled engine going to be o.k. Many factors involved when you are asking for "the best."
Watch out for warranty -- all sorts of wild claims out there. Some offer up to three years, some offer a lifetime on certain components; but in the fine print, you'll find that they may only cover parts or labor but not both; they may choose to fix something by any method they choose. Find a good, bumper-to-bumper 2-year full warranty.
Life cycle? A commercial mower with heavy-gauge steel construction and liquid-cooled engine may last you a lifetime; any air-cooled engine will be ready for the rubbish pile in less than 2,000 hours. Kind of depends if you want a long-lasting investment or if you're willing to spend the money again in 3 or 4 years for a new mower.
Finally, I personally believe the consumer reports are a bit rigged -- I notice that the brands they choose, happen to be brands that advertise in their publications. Use the Internet or go to a reputable mower dealer to get the real scoop.
message

and cost you maybe $10,000

Hhmm - 2000 hrs / 4 years - 500 hrs per year - that's enough for most neighborhoods. I'd guess the average homeowner uses less than 20 hours per season around here. I'm running air-cooled Kohlers that are over 20 years old - a 30 yo B&S on a Wards sits in the weeds cause it is locked in gear
stevey wrote:

since Consumer Reports does not accept adverising from anyone, any company, anyway!!!!!
That one BS statement casts doubts on the rest of your message.
Pure BS!!!
Bob
If you spend more than $1350.00 you could be riding a Deere.
wrote in >

care and application. Buy the one with the most engine and frame.

People are paying that much for 10 year old JD's around here. I bought my 110 for $850 about 5 years ago and I think it was 15 years old when I got it - but I have had a tie-rod end break - and I do have to change the oil and put gas in.

the mtd machines ain't bad for $1350 brand new. Like I said, it depends a lot on the application and maintenance..biggest engine and frame in that price range, if it was me on that budget.

The way MTD is going - gobbling up other outfits - we might not have a choice in another 5 years. What do they have - Cub Cadet, Bolens, Troybuilt - and the list goes on.

there on occasion here in Ohio. They keep adding names to their machines like you said. More buildings going up.
I like them because they employ people that live around me, and they make the most bang for the buck in small to medium sized lawn tractors.
They also make some nice high-end gear with that cub line.
American made still gets my attention.

And mine. I bought a Craftsman 42" about 4 years ago and it has been trouble free. It's got the Kohler 17 hp engine and the whole mower including the tires is made here in the USA.
Steveo wrote:

Biggest is not best. I have about an acre to cut with lots of gardens and trees. My Sears lawn tractor plus mowing deck is actually too big and doesn't turn corners as easily as a real riding lawn mower which has a zero-radius turn capability. Horsepower is an illusion, also. The number has been going up but I swear the "18.5 hp" models I see now are the same engine as my 17 year old "12.5 hp" model. Mine can to up hills that are too steep for safety, so I don't need any more power. In fact, I usually cut the power down to keep the noise low.

I bought a used 18hp twin cyl Craftsman a couple years ago and it wouldn't turn at all - front wheels just plowed when I turned the steering wheel. Turned around and sold it toot sweet.
message

PrestoChang0 You had me until here. Consumer Reports does not accept advertising.
You have to try out a Dixon ZTR before you buy anything.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

As long as you have level ground. They don't hold up to hilly ground.
--
Yard and Garden Handyman Services