Organic Lawn Care / Fertilizing

Hi,

I'm tired of treating our lawn with chemicals which never seems to address the true issue - soil repair (Upstate NY).

Done some on-line research and have come across a few alternative methods. One of which is using Corn Gluten Meal as the fertilizer.

Anyone here use this? If so what's your experience?

I'm strongly considering it and am interested in opinions.

Thank you.

Reply to
davma

I found this,

You'd also need to find supplements for phosphorus and potassium. Would the total cost of all this and the time spent doing it warrant adding stuff to poor soil instead of replacing the topsoil and starting over?

-- Tom

Reply to
- Tom -

I believe that Corn Glutten was tried as a weed killer some time ago, but failed at the task. I would be very skeptical of it's abilities as a fertilizer. There are pure organics out there though if that is what you are looking for. I used to use a composted turkey manure, which did a passable job... don't know that I would want my kids playing on that lawn though.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

And of course the big question is what is wrong with the soil that is there. For example, if there is little good top soil, organic fertilizer isn't going to fix that. Nor will it fix compaction, poor drainage, etc. In many areas you can have the soil tested by an agricultural service.

Reply to
trader4