Lawn plant - grass or weed?

My lawns, having been cut but otherwise neglected by the previous owner

are being taken over by either a small grass or grass-like weed, which cannot identify from various Google sites.

Apart from appearing to be a small variety of grass with a leaf span o perhaps 30 to 40 mm, the leaves themselves are slightly wider and darke than normal grass, and have a slight white fur within them. But the mai identifier at this time of year is the single seed stalk 40 to 50m high, with a pair of dark drown seed heads.

So at this present time large areas of lawn are covered with these dar brown upright seed heads.

Identification is the first priority, but advice to deal with it woul also be appreciated

-- BarryF

Reply to
BarryF

It's virtually impossible to identify a plant without at least seeing a photo. We don't even know the area it's in. What grows in Wisconsin and what grows in Florida or Ireland can be very different things.

Have you tried applying a broadleaf lawn herbicide? Spray some and see what happens. If it works, then it won't matter what it is. If not, if there is an agricultural extension service in your area, taking samples to them should work.

Reply to
trader4