lawmnower for a Handicap

I am looking for a rear bag lawnmower for my brother who is a handicap, he can walk behind the mower, was looking for an electric start, but trashed the idea when I told him the weight, so now I am shopping for a self propelled with controlled speed and a rear discharge in a leightweight, but mainly one that is the easiest to pull to start. he can only use one arm to start, he has had a few that he has problems such as the rope start on the handle bars or one that the mower moves all over when trying to start it, pull start must be on the engine and VERY easy to pull any suggestions

thank you Chet

Reply to
chet

Good day Chet. I would look into the toro personal pace mower. It's rear wheel drive and it only drives when you push the handle. The mower's speed ranges from 0 to 4.8 mph. There is an electric start model that sells for about $400.00. The mower has a 2 year warranty.

Honda also makes a electric start but it sells for a few hundreded dollars more. What I like about the toro over the honda for your brother's situation is the personal pace drive system. The personal pace system will allow him to go at what ever speed he is comfortable with instead of a fixed speed which may end up draging him around the lawn.

Good luck and hope all works out well for you.

Reply to
Timothy

I second that opinion!

I just bought a Toro personal pace. It is extremely lightweight and is user friendly by it's very design of how much force is put on the handle. My old Ariens is much heavier.

Go with the Toro with the electric start. My opinion is NOT to buy from Home Depot or other chain type home center. Your brother will need post sale support should something go wrong. An independent local dealer who specializes in lawn equipment will help you there.

In fact many of those places will come pick the mower up for you for the service & bring it back. Slight fee of course, but sounds like it may be necessary.

Timothy wrote:

Reply to
DJ

Have you considered an electric mower - they are generally a lot lighter than gas powered and therefore much easier to push - and of course, the starting problem is eliminated.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

THanks for such quick response, I was talking to a few dealers this AM. I spoke with one dealer who is a Honda and Toro dealer, he steered me away from the Toro, reason I don't know but he did say in the last

2-3 yrs Toro's quality has been going downhill, he is a service center for Home Depot & Lowe's and does their repairs, can this be a factor in my selection on Toro mowers, Honda mowers are 30-40% more money.

Chet

chet wrote:

Reply to
chet

I would assume that the salesman is attempting to sell you more than you may want in this case. It is true that the toro consumer products are a bit cheaper now'days, but it truth most everyone is going that way. If this place is a true toro dealer (instead of a re-seller), then ask about the lawn boy personal pace. Toro bought out lawn boy a few years back and the personal pace toro and lawn boy are really the same mower. The only difference is the the lawn boy has a honda motor. This imho is a better deal than the standard toro due to the honda motor.

The issues I see with the honda are the blade and drive bars. The honda has two safety bars, one that controls the blade/engine on-off control and one bar that engages the drive system. I don't know your borthers' situation to know if this will be an issue or not.

The other issue it that the drive system is fixed and this may or may not effect him and his ability to use the mower comfortably. The honda 3 speed is 'bout 700.00 dollars... which maybe out of your cost range.

All in all, don't sweat the honda Vrs toro/lawnboy issue. The toro/lawnboy will last many a season for your brother with little or no issues.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Timothy