Dog doodoo as lawn fertilizer?

I would even think it is, but this is not a troll message.

I have an adult female Golden Retriever that does her business in our back yard. I usually go out and clear the minefield once or twice a week, just before mowing, so the dog s**t may stay on the lawn for a few days. The s**t, if left there, burns the lawn for about an inch all around the s**t, but after removal, the grass around the burnt area grows more rapidly and is a darker green than the rest of the lawn. The areas look like volcanic craters. The Golden eats only dry dog food. So it seems that too much dog s**t is bad, but a little is good. Has anyone ever tried to use a dog s**t formula as a lawn fertilizer?

See pics over in alt.binaries.pictures.garden

Reply to
willshak

Just about any kind of animal poop can be used . You just have to adjust the ammount depending on the animal it comes from.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

True in general but horse manure needs to be mixed with hay or wood chips and left to rot for a year. Chicken manure is even more "hot" and needs to age for say, 2 years.

You might return some of your visitor's presents to their owner's front porch. Or turn on a lawn sprinkler when the visitor appears.

Reply to
Stubby

I don't want my dogs presents on my front porch. That's why we let her out in the rear yard. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Sure, it would work. The only obvious problems are how to collect it and distribute it evenly, which would require grinding it up. Then there are the issues of spreading any dog parasites, disease, etc across the yard, where other dogs may encounter it. Not saying your dog is a puss bag, but you get the idea :) And when you can buy enough nitrogen for an acre for $30, it doesn't seem worth it.

Reply to
trader4

he didn't say the neighbors dog "doodoos" in thier yard.

his "OWN" doggy doo burns his "OWN" grass...

Reply to
JillAdams

you have described fairly much what happens to my lawns when my mutts (and a lazy shit cat who can't be bothered using a garden to shit in) crap on it. I mow the shit up if it is there and it goes in the compost. It is autumn here so the amount of rain at present is washing alot of the poop away within a few days. Your comment about craters is accurate although my grass takes quite a time to grow back after being burnt. Like yours my mutts (and cat) gets biscuits. I use dog poop, mainly what I collect from walking them, as a mulch under our hedge. I use compost mulch to keep grass and weeds down and simply add the poop as a top up and fertiliser.

rob

Reply to
George.com

I hope you don't use compost with dog sh*t in it around plants in your vegetable garden. Diseases can be transmitted to you this way. Also, lawn chemicals are not good for the plants or for people.

Reply to
Stubby

No one has mentioned yet the SMELL of dog crap... It's just nasty - not to mention the flies it draws.

Unhealthy and a Doggone nasty idea I think.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

i'm down with kate ! pewwwwww

Reply to
ricks555

the dog poop goes as mulch along the hedge. Lawn chemicals go no where near plants or compost or me anymore. I don't use them now (aside from roundup occasionally). I decided some time ago spraying the shit out of my lawn every year can't be that healthy for any of us. My opinion is I can get as good a result without synthetic chemicals or fertilisers as I did with them. This autumn my lawn is showing signs I am correct.

rob

Reply to
George.com

it has a bit of an odour but is not really that bad at all. I think cat poop smells far worse. I do walk my mutts daily and pick up their crap so I have gotten use to it but it is far from a wretch worthy stench.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Don't sweat the small stuff. Yes, almost any animal poop is fertilizer. I had a small front yard for my two small dogs. Cleaning up was throwing it in the flower patch. The yard and flowers were the best on the block. Yes, do NOT put it in a vegetable garden due to disease.

Reply to
Newsgroup

Just put out some antifreeze in the water dish and some bacon-soaked sponges. This should stop the problem.

Good luck.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Did you even bother to actually *READ* the original post? It's not someone else's dog.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

: > Unhealthy and a Doggone nasty idea I think. : >

: > Kate : : it has a bit of an odour but is not really that bad at all. I think cat poop : smells far worse. I do walk my mutts daily and pick up their crap so I have : gotten use to it but it is far from a wretch worthy stench. : : rob :

Well... to each their own I guess. Hope your neighbors don't live too close by. It might even be considered a health department issue in some areas.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

the hedge sits on the road frontage but is legally on my property. The poo goes right under the hedge, there is a strip of grass and then the footpath. We are getting so much rain that the poo gets washed into the soil within a matter of days. It gives out no smell whatsoever unless you go and bury your nose in it.

rob

Reply to
George.com