Dethatching Help

I have a question regarding dethatching....
There are 3 options...
1) Using a thatch rake 2) Using a lawnmower attachment 3) Renting a vertical mower
Which is the best, assuming money is no object. Which is the best for the lawn? Does anyone have any other advice on dethatching?
Thanks.

Are you sure that you have a thatch problem? Many people rip out the dead grass from the previous growing season for no particular reason. It will decompose and help to fertilize the new lawn growing in.
A thatch problem will force the crown of the grass plant to move up higher than it was meant to. This is damaging to the plants and creates an unhealthy environment.
If you do have a thatch problem I would recommend the vertical mower to remove it. Be prepared for a lot of waste product.
Peter H
Thanks. I had neglected the lawn last year so there is a lot of unwanted matter on the ground. I am also planning on overseeding so I wanted the highest soil contact possible.
How well do the vertical mowers work?
Peter H wrote:

Don't know where you are, but for most areas of the US with cool season grasses, it's way past optimal time for seeding. The best time is early Sept, second best early spring. Now you have hot weather on the way, which makes it much harder.
Also, I agree with Peter, that unless you really have a thatch problem, de-thatching is necessary. You can overseed by cutting it short and using a slice seeder, which is a lot less work.
What is a slice seeder?

Do you have a friend named Google?
Here, let me introduce you two. http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en Now, paste or type "slice seeder" into the blank space and press the keyboard's Enter key. Voila! And for dessert, http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q= . Same drill. This time you get images.
-- Tom

If I wanted an impersonal response I would have done so. You obviously do not understand the utility of a newsgroup and the commercial aspect of the web. Please do not waste your time by posting such ignorant responses to the group. If you can't find a more benficial use of your time, then go google a hobby.
- Tom - wrote:

A slice seeder is a piece of gas powered, walk behind, lawn eqpt. It has discs that cut grooves in soil a couple inchs apart and then drop seed in as it goes along. Very effective way to seed for either establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one. They can be rented for about $50 for a half day here in the US and transported by two people in an SUV. At least the small ones. :)
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Paul

I'm sorry you got that impression, Paul. Not my intention, actually, but that's one of the limitations of an impersonal medium like Usenet. I suppose I could've added a smiley for flavor. I've used google plenty and learned more accurate information than from "friendly" replies on Usenet. NG replies are great for filling in the blanks when basic subject searches are complete and some reading has been done. I didn't get any indication from your short question that you knew anything about slice seeders so I directed you to a utility that should be the first source for answering most questions about technology. Perhaps you'd be better served by being more specific with requests for information.
-- Tom

Paul Gerst wrote:

Ah c'mon ya big cry-baby. He could have sent you here: http://tinyurl.com/22c6t
Musn't forget this :o)

Actually, you could try a tonic to breakdown the thatch. If the thatch is more than 1", then a mechanical means may be necessary but try using the famous tonic to breakdown the thatch:
1 can beer (not light, you want the yeast) 1 can cola (not diet, you want the sugar content) 1 cup liquid soap (lemon scented dishwashing type) 1 cup ammonia
Put in a 20 gal sprayer over 2500 sq ft. of grass.
There are commercial thatch breakdown liquids you can buy as well.
Thunder

Steveo wrote:

What do you consider regularly? It's been six years since the last time I core aerated.
Dan

And how much should one expect to pay for getting the yard done? How about renting equipment?

accelerate the rotting of the thatch layer. If you stay on a regular schedule with it, you won't need de-thatching.
Steveo wrote:

Thanks for the info, Steveo. I take it spring or fall is the best time to aerate?
Dan

Paul Gerst wrote:

You should have a lot of time and energy to do it using only a rake (or a very small area to dethatch)

Lawnmower attachment? I haven't looked for or seen those, but I have one for a lawn tractor. First time I used one, worked well enough, but I think dedicated equipment would have worked better. It would be easier to get it into places that the tractor couldn't go.

Could be the best option, especially if you don't already have a tractor.

Mow short before dethatching and bag the clippings. If you're going to overseed after, I've read that a second mowing would be useful after dethatching (according to the Ortho Lawn book) but I skipped the second mowing due to time constraints. However, after the rain and the growth spurt in the rest of the lawn has grown quite a bit in the last 10 days. I'm not supposed to mow that because of the overseeding so I'll just have to wait till the new seed grows atleat 1.5" (once again, according to the Ortho Lawn book). These are notes from my first and only experience dethatching, so take it with a grain of salt.
-- Himanshu