Crabgrass prevention help

I live near DC and have a crabgrass problem in my turf type fescue lawn. Seems that I've heard you can lay down crabgrass preventer in the very early spring to help beat the problem later.
My crabgrass takes over in August and dies back with the first frost.
Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations ?
Thanks

might consider using a good one like Dimension in late spring instead of early. That will move your control window to later in the growing season.
Putting down pre-emergent too early is a common mistake. A good guide to when to apply it is when forsythias start to bloom. Done correctly, it's very effective.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net Wrote:

Hi John, You might also consider using corn gluten meal. http://tinyurl.com/49df4
See #9 here. http://tinyurl.com/55jb5
Newt