Crabgrass

Page 2 of 2
dicko wrote:

It's impossible to encourage a new lawn that is being taken over by crabgrass to grow and choke out the crabgrass. Watering and fertilizer at this point will just make the opposite happen, with the crabgrass choking out the grass. I agree that maintaining a thick healthy lawn is the first and most important step at keeping crabgrass out, but it won't get rid of it this year when it's already there and killing off the new lawn.
Next year, instead of putting down a pre-emergent

There are pre-emergents available that can safely be used on recently seeded lawns. But re-seeding should be done in the fall anyway. Based on what I've heard so far, his best bet is to get a professional in to kill the crabgrass now with Acclaim, save the lawn, and avoid having to re-seed.
It will take awhile, a few years maybe, but in the end you'll have a

Good reasons to use Acclaim, it will kill even mature crabgrass effectively, and doesn;t contain arsenic.

Given a choice of 3 years of looking at crabgrass and the trouble and expense of reseeding, I'd go with the Acclaim.
Can acclaim be purchased by a DIY'r?

William W. Plummer wrote:

only a capful per gallon. Do it now before the plants drop their seeds -- approximately 500 to 1000 per plant.