commercial zero turn mowers

I am currently shopping around for a zero turn mower with approx. a 44 inch deck size...and I'm getting more confused/overwhelmed as I go along. I started looking at the low end toro and cub cadets but was really impressed with the build quality of a Hustler fastrack I saw at an area dealer. Through web research I've noticed some of the "commercial" z-turn manufactures also have units designed more for residential use (ie. mini-fastrack, exmark lazer/ct, gravely@home ZT's).

I'm really leaning towards these "commercial" dealers but I was curious if anyone can offer any advice as to how their residential products stack up in comparision to the pro equipment or against each other. I wish the dealer I saw stocked the mini-fastrack just to be able to make a comparison myself.

Thanks in advance for what ever information you can provide.

Randy

Reply to
yotaman

Dixie Chopper came out with a residential model this year that is great. It is using the same drive unit as the commercial but a smaller deck which is made out of stainless steel. no mo rust

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly

the scag,dixiechopper,grasshopper and woods are what is used by comercial guys around here. i work on them and i think they are heavier built and last longer than the homeowner class by cub and toro and others.the gravely are made by areins and are a real pain. for a homeowner with less than 5 acres they should last 15-20 years.and then can be repaired.. kohler and kawasaki are the best engine to get.i would also reccomend getting the most comfy seat available. lucas

Reply to
ds549

I've got an 04 Snapper 50 inch. It is great. This years models are manufactured by someone else and suck. Briggs owns Snapper, Simplicity and a bucnh of others. Under any one brand name you will now find mowers made by any number of other manufacturers to meet the brand's price point for that nich in the market especially for Residental rated mowers. Residental rated mowers just ain't up to snuff. You'll have to get a 50 inch deck to get the commercial John Deere manufactured by Deere to get the quality you want. Expect to pay about 6,400.00 to 7,200.00 unless thing have changed. Things to look for are grease fittings for the spindles on top forof deck fore easier servicing, a handle on the deck to unload the deck drive belt for easy replacement, wide and big tires to help prevent turf damage on tight turns( these things weight a ton),the heavier the deck the better for long life, and a flush attachment on the deck for attaching a hose to clean out build up which breads rust, a really great sitting and suspended seat ( which you will appreciate if you have a large area to mow), good ground speed of at least 10 mph at full tilt, and responsive but not finiky levers, and pto gas and other controls up high away from detris etc, and gauges for gas, or if you have the money diesel. Dixie Chopper makes one entirely out of stainless but I haven't been able to look at one up close or find a dealer. It may be the best thing since slice bread.

Reply to
Tightwad

Here is a link where you can check out the new Dixie Chopper line. The Silver Eagle 44" starts around $ 6000.00 and has the sam Commerical grade hydro. system.

Luck Shopping

-- restrorob

Reply to
restrorob

Thanks for everyone's input. I've never even considered Dixie Chopper but I think I may have to take a look. There is one dealer in the area I found on their web site...I live in Canada and most of these commercial dealers are kind of few and far between...but atleast they are around.

I've never used any of those clean out ports on the deck for the garden hose before. How long must you run the deck with the water on to be effective?? I assume you must also clean it after each use before the build up dries on...which may be a challenge... :-). To tell you the truth my old mower, an Allis Chalmers (aka Simplicity) 919 with 19hp Kohler which is probably near 25 years old (not really sure but I've owned it the last 15) has still got the original deck and it seems pretty solid despite it's infrequent cleanings. The motor just ain't what she used to be however and it recently has developed a major oil leak at the back under the fly wheel. (I assume the crankshaft seal but can't be sure). Anyhow I figure her time has come ... she sure doesn't owe me anything at this point.

Randy

Reply to
yotaman

I don't know how long it takes to clean underneath the deck. I missed the cue and it wasn't on my Snapper. If all you need to do is replace the engine on old faithful do it and save a ton of money. If everything is a little worn get the latest and greatest. You'll never be happy with an also ran. I though the Dixie Chopper was the one made of stainless but looking at the previous poster's link I couldn't determine they made one.

Reply to
Tightwad

Yes in deed, All commercial and some homeowner models do have th stainless lifetime warranty body, There are a couple homeowner unit that are just painted steel

-- restrorob

Reply to
restrorob

Well that option has been considered...the engine can also likely be repaired. Which I may do and try and sell it privately. I've been offered $500 on a trade in for a $5800 Hustler Fastrack 44"/ 18hp kohler. I've got to try and determine what I could realistically get for that machine in good running order. One big reason the new mower is being considered is my wife never really liked operating old faithful... ;-) ... but she seems to like the ZT's. (although she may be thinking I can get out and get the job done quicker so that she doesn't have to even consider mowing!!!)

I haven't had a chance to check out the Dixie Chopper yet but I did have a chance to go the International Plowing Match today and I checked out Walker, Grasshopper, Simplicity, Husquvarna & Ferris. Most were a lot more money for anything comparable, and if not there were things re: controls, quality or warranty which I didn't like. There also was another Hustler dealer there who offered better prices than the guy I talked to as well...I could get a 52"/20hp kohler for $5700, the 44"/18 was 5500.

Reply to
yotaman