Coffee Grounds for Fertilizer???

My neighbor swears by throwing coffee grounds at base of his small trees to make them grow faster. And guess what? They do.
Anyone heard of this one?
Thanks
Yes! They are like black gold for your compost pile, and they do just the trick for raising the acidity and nutrient value of the sandy soil for my roses out here in the desert. I prefer to use them when making compost and then use the compost, but they do good both ways.
    Dave
Jethro wrote:

I went to Google search and typed in COFFEE GROUNDS IN THE GARDEN. Go there it is interesting. It is a source of slow release nitrogen. Dave Gaunky wrote:

I went to Google search and typed in COFFEE GROUNDS IN THE GARDEN. Go there it is interesting. It is a source of slow release nitrogen. Dave Gaunky wrote:

My gardening aunt used to put coffee grounds and egg shells around certain flowers. I add them to my very large compost pile.

My Dad used to bury a eaten corn cob in the holes he dug for tomato plants. I don't know if it does anything but next year I might try it....along with an egg shell.
FDR wrote:

Hi FDR...
One is better than none, but I respectfully suggest that you make that a dozen crushed egg shells per plant.
Ken
per plant

coffe grounds have, so I have read, an NPK of 3-1-2. Thats pretty close to the levels of the pelletised poop fertiliser I use for my lawn. When spring comes around I am going to try using coffee grounds as a lawn food. It makes good compost. As it is finely ground, from my experience, it heats up quickly. I have to turn my compost weekly to cool it down and stop it drying out. Coffee grounds through the compost also seem to consume carbon quickly. It also makes a 1/2 decent mulch though I reckon it is best mixed in with other things in layers such as straw, hay, leaves or the like. Very thick layers of coffee grounds suck up any rain and can stop it getting in to the soil. It does a great job of keeping weeds down. It is also free in bulk from cafes.
rob
coffee grounds,egg shells veg scraps,, just about anything will help.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Andy comments:
Instead of coffee grounds, I use instant coffee. Usually the cantalope are ripe the next day. Tomatoes get red in 3 hours, and you have to get out of the way of the corn when it shoots up...
:>)))))

Never used instant coffee, but cappucino seems to make my plants shake nervously for hours...