Briggs and Stratton engines dont last!!

I know 3 lawn mowing services. They run all different engines, briggs and stratton, Honda, and then Mike uses all Kohler. Mikes operation as the largest by far. The man and wife that use Honda engines are doing great, they say they spend about 10% more for equipment, but honda engines last forever! Mike that uses Kohler engines loves them and hate B.S. engines because he sais they cost the same but run 4 times longer. The guy Tom that uses the briggs engines is in bad shape. He spends so much time and money fixing his engines he cant work a full schedule!!! The pick of lawn services---Kohler!!!
On 21 Apr 2007 12:32:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

B+S engines in my experience are well designed, simple to maintain and bulletproof. -JS
On Apr 21, 2:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Andy writes: The question is " Is there something about the design,or the metal used, or the assembly procedures that makes one brand of engine better than the others ??"
Otherwise, we have a case where a person who buys cheap engines finds they don't last as long as a person who buys more expensive engines.
It could well be the person who owns the engines and not the engines themselves...
I would very much appreciate any comments on exactly WHY a B & S engine doesn't last as long.... I'm not question it, but I haven't observed it myself, and would like to understand the problem...
Andy in Eureka, Texas
AndyS wrote:

I have both Briggs and Kohler, take good care of them and they last forever. Neither tractor gets babied and mowers are used to grind compostable materials as well as regular cutting. One of the Briggs is 22 years old - still doing it's job. Luck of the draw, good maintenance ...........................who knows.
Dorothy