Adjusting LT Brakes

Hello,
I have an older Craftsmen LT 12/38 6 speed, 917.254240.
I cannot seem to adjust the brakes on this thing. I see the adjuster on the brake rod, but when I adjust it all I can do is change the clutch adjustment but not the brakes. I did have a little brake left earlier this year, but I have none now... and on my terrain that is not a good thing at all.
Is there another adjustment on the transaxle or somewhere?
Thanks in advance.
It's the nut adjustment on the small disc. Post at www.mytractorforum.com under craftsman for full procedure.