New Restaurant HVAC Problems, HELP HELP

Page 1 of 2
My cousins new restaurant just opened, and we can't get it to cool down. Here's the scoop so far. It has 2 Carrier units, a 12 ton and an 8 ton Both units have been checked numerous times, coils are clean, temperatures and amperage are all good, supply air is 60 degrees and return air is 80 degrees. So everyone says the units are working hard, and they are not the problem.
The restaurant is 8,000 square feet. I know a study probably needs to be done, but we need some tempoarary fix or suggestions until then.
Here is what we tried so far, that did not work, We shut off all of the air ducts in the kitchen area, to try and help get more air into the dining rooms. There are no return air ducts in the dining rooms, only on one wall of the building, above the ceiling and over the kitchen. So we ran 2 18"insulated ducts across the ceiling to the dining areas to try to move the air from these rooms, rather than send the hotter load above the kitchen to the return. We placed a couple rotating fans on the floor to try and move the air.
None of this really did anything. It is about 90 degrees out here, and humid. The restaurant is about 75 when empty to 85 inside when filled to capacity. This will kill business, we need a temporary fix.
I measured the air temperature at the supply ducts in the dining room, and it measures 67 to 70 degrees. The air coming out of the supply ducts was at the top of or beyond the a/c guys flow meter readings, so the air flow out is good.
The dining room ceilings are about 16 feet high open to the corrugated roof over the aws joists.The return, if you want to call it that, is the drop ceiling plenum over the bar and kitchen areas which runs back to the back wall where the a/c units are. There are about 4 foot by 3 foot screens on the return ducts, which i cleaned. Now we also have three 8 inch insulated ducts pushed up against the return ducts that we ran to the dining areas to try and pull air from them better.
Should we turn the kitchen ducts back open? What should we do? help.
Just double checked and it is a 12 ton unit and a 10 ton unit not 8 as i previously stated. 22 tons for 8,000 square feet.
PUT GARDEN HOSE OUT THERE AND SPRAY THE CONDENSER WITH WATER THAT WOULD GAVE YOU TEMP. FIX From DIDO

Did you install this abortion for your cousin? Where is the installer? Where is the engineer?
snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com wrote:

but did you increase the size of the other ductwork to accomodate the extra airflow??

hahaha thanks for the sunday morning laff. stupidity at its finest.
You should re-duct ALL of the supply air and return air from both ac units to the dining room-bar only, and at the same time put in a ceiling at around 12 feet. Without a ceiling, figure on adding another 25-30 tons of cooling.
Kitchens require their own seperate exhaust fans and make up air units. If you plan on air conditioning your kitchen on a seperate system, figure 50-100 sqft per ton.

He never did say *where* the place is, and if the existing equipment has been checked and serviced by a *competent* HVAC tech.
I have a customer (a catfish house) where had "Bubba" install a new split system, and he screwed with the other 4 systems too. Between the 5 systems, after cleaning and serviceing them, I recovered almost 20 pounds of excess refrigerent.
Its fun to pull a bunch of refrigerant out and when you start getting close to a balanced charge, have the owner come running out wanting to know what you did because the system started working!!!.
Watch out if you have a "Bubba" in the area.... I have recovered over 100lbs of excess refrigerant in the last 2 months.
Since they are near to the end of R-22, that will be valuable refrigerant in a few years. Nice long shelf life, too. Doesn't go bad like milk or soda pop.
Yep, I bet they come running out and wonder what you did.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

So tell me.... when was the last time *YOU* correctly balanced a refrigerant charge?? What was the SH?? SC?? SST?? What kind of digital clamp-on thermocouple did you use?? What size of system was it?? When you sucked the liquid from the high side hose into the system, how did it effect it?? (You *DO* use dry-break fittings on your hoses, don't you??). BTW... do you even OWN a recovery can??

Listen to what "Nooner" says. It is true. If you find a "Bubba" in the are, be very very careful. The only thing worse is if you have one of those nasty side-winder "Nooners" in your area. If you have one of those you are fucked! Bubba :-)

The only reason I typed "Bubba" was that I was being too lazy to type "Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob" :-)

"Lazy-Assssssss." :-) I know, dont worry. I typed in a smiley face on my remark. Bubba

Thanx.... its been another long day.... recovered another 18 lbs of R-22 from grossly overcharged systems.... and had one that had the schraders filled with Leak-Loc and wrench tight caps on them..... I guess the last guy didn't have one of those nifty core replacement tools??
So whats your point besides the one on top of your head?
Noon-Air wrote:

Dont worry, Dork! No one here expects a "Tard" like you to get anything in here. Maybe you should just go find your own "point" and go sit on it. Bubba
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 05:05:23 GMT, no one that you know

I question your flow meter reading.
Recheck for 22 tons of air flow and then use your subcool charts to reset your charge.
Check the amp draw on each leg.
On 30 Jul 2006 07:20:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com wrote:

Does it really matter? A dinky Wendy's fast food joint uses as much and usually more than this guy has in that restaurant. The engineer screwed up big time, especially with a warehouse style open floor plan.
My input is 40 tons........

On 30 Jul 2006 07:20:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com wrote:

You and junior should stop fuquering around with chit you have no clue about. Got exactly what you paid for, eh? hehe Just to gawd durn funny. Bubba

Is that 75 after running continuously for 24 hours when completely empty? Surely you are not shutting down the AC when you lock up!
Are all your range hoods removing all the kitchen heat?
I live less than a mile from this restaurant I've talked to the owner many times. He wants me to check the system out But doesn't want to pay me. It is in a brand new strip mall. The south and west walls are ALL GLASS. The thermostats get direct sunlight from 4pm on. He just installed shades on the windows.This helped a little.The problem was worst when we had a 10 day period of 95 + degrees temps with 80%+ RH. I think the economizers were never set up right. The high ceilings & extreme solar load isn't helping any. I'd be glad to help him but I don't work for free!!!