My furnace is old - gas company repair plans OK?

Does anyone have an experience with utility-company repair plans? I am considering one for my furnace, which is pretty old.
Has anyone ever need a repair/replacement under these plans?

Advantages.... They put the payments on your utility bills.
Disadvantages... you don't have a choice in the contractor you don't have much of a choice in equipment brands you don't have a choice in financing or interest rates you don't have much of a choice of the type of equipment
Steve wrote:

They hire the cheapest hack in town to do your repair work. Keep in mind..He works for them.. Not you. A Good Maintenance policy like the one out of San Antonio lets you call whomever you want.. You pay The Service Company and are immediately reimbursed. No bullshit and no scams. The Utility companies used to do service and replacements. But 20 years ago someone brought a lawsuit against them and the Government for unfair trade practices and unfair competition. All Utility companies, Private and municipal are heavily subsidized with tax dollars. So those companies, licking their wounds from being ousted, set up warranty services that actually are more scam then content. They sell you a Monthly payment added to your utility bill and then contract with whoever is dumb enough to work for practically nothing.. Which of course is the worst outfit in town. They do have a terrible time keeping contractors on top of it.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:37:09 -0800 (PST), bryan

Hire a real contractor you cheap ass bastard.
I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.