leaking boiler - replace with high efficiency unit?

I have a hot water system in my home with the old fashioned cast iron radiators, currently heated by a Peerless gas fired boiler dating to 1980. It appears to be leaking - started it up this weekend and now there is water on the floor around it. Not a lot of water, but some - never happened before. It is not coming from the pressure relief valve. Also the pressure is reading zero, which I have never seen before. Two questions - (a) any chance it does not need to be replaced? (b) If it is time to replace it, should I get one of those ultra high efficiency units? Any recommendations? Thank you, -- H
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:01:56 -0700 (PDT), Heathcliff
radiators, currently heated by a Peerless gas fired boiler dating to 1980. It appears to be >leaking - started it up this weekend and now there is water on the floor around it. Not a lot of water, but some - never happened before. It is not coming from >the pressure relief valve. Also the pressure is reading zero, which I have never seen before. Two questions - (a) any chance it does not need to be replaced? (b) >If it is time to replace it, should I get one of those ultra high efficiency units? Any recommendations? Thank you, -- H

Call in an HVAC service company to assess and give you an estimate to replace it. I don't know where you live but winter's coming and this is supposed to be a rough one. Most new equipment is high efficiency today, some are better than others. Look at the warranty.
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:50:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@rhosos.not wrote:

radiators, currently heated by a Peerless gas fired boiler dating to 1980. It appears to be >leaking - started it up this weekend and now there is water on the floor around it. Not a lot of water, but some - never happened before. It is not coming from >the pressure relief valve. Also the pressure is reading zero, which I have never seen before. Two questions - (a) any chance it does not need to be replaced? (b) >If it is time to replace it, should I get one of those ultra high efficiency units? Any recommendations? Thank you, -- H

In haste I forgot to mention first check the boiler drain valve. Many boiler manufacturers do not install a temperature rated boiler drain. To save money they use a hardware store valve that will probably hold as long as it is never opened. Once you do open them, they probably won't close again completely and can drip. In that case you shut the boiler off, let it completely cool down, close the water feed valve and very carefully remove and replace the drain valve with a real boiler drain valve. I would not just replace the seat. You'll still have a non-temperature rated valve. John IF you break you there is another created problem for a technician.