Homeowner Gas Question - length of pipe

My house is being renovated. Got rid of the oil and switching to gas. Half the house has a crawl space, the other half is on grade (with 10" floor joists). A new gas line will be run from the street. The question is where to put the gas meter. My contractor wants to put it near the side of the house adjacent to the crawl space. Makes sense, but it would be unsightly. I want to put it out of sight, which means near the side of the house without a crawl space. This would entail running the gas pipe under the floor of the house for about 29' until it reaches the crawl space. The contractor doesn't want to do this because he doesn't want to end up with any unaccessible gas pipe joints (i.e., burried under the finished floor).

Question: is there some sort of code compliant gas pipe that's very long (and flexible and comes on a spool), that could span the distance I need without having to join multiple sections? How can I solve this problem?

Thanks, AABob

Reply to
AABob

Tractpipe.

Reply to
Don Ocean

THANK YOU!!!

Reply to
AABob

Looks like CSST is no longer permitted in Massachussets. Are there other options?

Reply to
AABob

Encase the pipe inside of a larger sleeve with welded joints and threaded sealed ends. Used to be popular in under-slab gas jobs, rarely seen any longer. But it would prevent any possibility of leakage within the crawl area. Use reducing wall seal nuts for the ends; Normac, etc. Obviously you'll need to make a straight shot of it.

If you can go CSST, make sure it is properly electrically bonded for the entire length. Lightning hitting the building can blow holes in flex pipes.

Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

You got me? Coated stainless steel flexible gas pipe is even accepted in government homes. Also it is International code. obviously you have some kind of local code that denies that. It can still be installed in Government loan and built homes.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Double wall welded seam gas piping under the floor is great stuff... & will definitely keep the local pipefitters happy for a while. It's gonna be expensive... Probably cheaper to trench & bury all the way around the house. Better yet, redo the landscaping & plant some shrubs or what not to cover that "unsightly" meter. To guys like myself, a meter is an attraction that starts the gears turning. When ever I see some duct or piping I'm always trying to figure its purpose... I almost got run over at the Mpls/Stp Airport cuz a few ceiling tile were out & I was eyeing up the duct & steam piping, RedCap w/ a Golf cart full o'old folks honked & swerved as he came out of his corner rounding powerslide! (I still haven't figured it out... that place is huge, & the Stewardesses passing by throw me off... I'll keep looking!)

Reply to
geothermaljones