Furnace Wont Stop Heating

At some point this summer my furnace has decided that it has something to prove. It is displaying this by not turning off...ever. It started randomly with apparently no changes being made at all. The thermostat was set to 60 F (it was about 75 F in the house at the time) and the furnace kicked on and would not stop until I turned the system to OFF at the thermostat. That worked for a while and then on a quite warm evening (about 80 in the house) the system turned on again and would not stop no matter what I did at the thermostat. I turned it on and turned the temp down as far as it would go, turned in back off, took of the control panel, put it back on and turned the system back to off. None of this made any difference at all. I did wait a few minutes to make sure the system had enough time to respond to my wishes. I ended up turning the gas off at the control valve just before the gas line goes into the furnace. The valve looks fairly new and I found an old one down there laying near the furnace. Also I pulled off the wires coming from the thermostat and the transformer to the control valve. I did this while the system was running and it turned off when I disconnected them and came back in immediately when I reconnected them.

My thermostat is a Braeburn Model 2000 and the furnace is very old. It says "Day and Night" on it and the model is 105 HFA L.

I have a call out to Braeburn to see if they can help with the issue.

Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks from Whitefish Cory

Reply to
cory333

It's called day and night for a reason; it runs day and night. I'll be here all week.

Reply to
What a maroon

Obviously, it's possessed--I suggest an exorcism...

Reply to
over a barrel

maybe I'll make a new name tag for it..."Run when I tell you to" Got a kick out of your comment. I will try the thermostat. That was my first thought also but this is my first endeavor with the electrical side of HVAC so I figured I would call in the big guns.

thanks Cory

Reply to
cory333

Replace your POS stat.

Reply to
KJPRO

If the furnace is more tna 18 - 20 years old, then its paid its dues and its time for replacement. Second, the stat you have is a POS. several years back, I installed a couple cases of those, and have had to replace almost every single one under warranty. When you have a new furnace installed, the installer should replace the stat at the same time.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Call some local (to you) heating and AC service companies. Sounds like you've got some electrical problems. I had a couple friends of mine had much the same problem. By the time I found out about it (at the house one day and it seemed a bit warm) they had replaced the thermostat four times. I am not joking about replacing the thermostat. I did some troubleshooting, and it turned out to be a bad electrical part at the furnace.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Where would you pour the holy water? On the thermostat, or into the electrical control box? Would you bless it with a full five galon bucket of holy water?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Funny. It seems that even your imaginary "friends" have you figured out and wont call you. Lemme guess......the part you diagnosed and replaced was the thermostat? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I have always wondered who finally bought that Bargain system from Hell. Call stormy, He and his gang will do a laying on of the hands. That also means exorcising your wallet and squeeze toys for Stormie's crew during the breaks. ;-p

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Petre