Flex vs. Aluminum ducts

I am having an HVAC system installed in my basement. I would like to know what is the consensus/general opinion regarding the use of Flex vs. Metal ducts? Which should i use?

I have had 3 companyies tell me i should use metal as much as possible and use flex where necessary. Another two tell me everyone is using flex these days and there is no disadvantage.

Please advise.

thank you

Reply to
farseer

metal passes air with less restiction so it can lead to long term $ savings.....

flexible saves bg bucks on install

since yours is a new install what system did you have previously?

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
farseer

care to elaborate, perhaps with some cites?

Reply to
CJT

WHY???????

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have flex as a result of a major remodel done a few years ago. The idiot contractor connected them using ordinary duct tape and did not provide adequate support for each run. On at least 3 occasions the flex seperated from junction boxes and I had to fix them. (the crawl space was being heated better then the house).

If I had known then what I no now I wouldn't have allowed this crap to ever be installed. If it's installed 100% correctly then I guess it's a pretty good idea but that's a big "if". I'd say Flex is totally unforgiving to poor installation procedures. The other problem if that flex is round. Sometimes rectangular will be less of an obstruction in areas where form factor is a consideration.

I'd recommend 22 gauge galv. ducts in a heartbeat.

Reply to
Howard

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Well the way I see it Flex vs. Metal there is couple differences cans: yes it does restrict some of air flow. pros: is less loses of air temp. like metal it does not conduct air temperature on outer wall, there for not likely getting the condensation on outer wall and it is cheaper installation. Securing the flex duct to distribution duct clamps are made for that. Three pros. One cons. you pick? from Dido

Reply to
AKS

So you seem to know a whole lot about friction loss in flex compared to metal ductwork james? And of course we all know that flex in a Phoenix attic will last forever where as the metal duct work will melt in a heart beat. duhh Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
farseer

bubba is an idiot!

Generally flex has 20% less capacity then a metal pipe. It is also a lot easier to damage during a duct cleaning ect... I would never use flex unless it's to get around a tricky corner, other then that use metal only. I will say capacity won't be an issue when installing it as a heat run. I would just worry about the quality of the flex and how long it will last.

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

More retarded info from a stupid Canuck. No idea about friction loss in flex pipe eh Canuck? You've gotta be dumber than a box of shit under a pile of rocks. You say flex has 20% less capacity than metal the you turn right around and say capacity wont be an issue??? WTF?? Christ! I think you are in for the dumbass of the year award. Nice job Canuck. By the way, retard. Most companies wont duct clean flex pipe you stupid in-breed.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

"farseer" wrote in news:1169166875.787921.117530 @l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Flex ducting has a higher friction loss, and tends to sag, which exaserbates the problem. We have several condos in my area that used flex ducting and most have air flow problems.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

I have a 12 year old house with flex ducting in the for the second floor system and it seriously sucks. The resistance on the long runs makes it impossible to get any kind of balanced airflow.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Normally a heat run is a short distance, rathen then a long distance. Understand now?

poor bubba, wrong again!

HAHA

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @

Reply to
Anonymous

You know Canuck, if you'd learn how to repost something you might make just a wee bit of sense but then I wouldnt expect and inbreed like you to have the slightest clue. Define short Define long Now, tell me how a flex run wont have any resistance or friction compared to a metal run just because it is running in heat instead of cool. You are totally amazing how absolutely f****ng stupid you are. I guess you just make up your own rules of the laws of physics. (yeah, I know, thats a hard word for you) Look it up. Have you ever even studied this trade or did your grandpa just dump you into a coal bin head first. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba