Exhaust fans and attic ventilation questions

Presently, my two bathrooms have exhaust fans venting straight into the roof attic space. I do not believe that my roof has any ventilation system at all. I am concerned that this may promote unhealthy air which filters down into the living areas below. Are these concerns valid?
I am considering installing ducted versions of the exhausts fans which exhaust air outside through the roof. Or I could install a draught stopper version of the exhaust fan to prevent air from coming down from the roof. I would also like to install some sort of roofing ventilation like those twirling whirlybird ventilators. Would these address the issues above?
Chris

I say go for the twirling whirlybirds.

Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

I think those are pretty worthless.

I would vent the fans to the outside, not let them blow in the attic.
Venting attics is for cold climates, to stop ice dams. Other areas need to be sealing the attics and keeping the heat out. We need to change how we build.