dukane furnace rumbles w/fume smell

Page 1 of 2
We purchased our house back in 2002(about 4 years), it has a Ducane DRC 10A oil furnace that was installed in 99. Starting about 4-5 days ago it started to rumble on startup. Also when it starts up you can smell oil fumes coming through the vents. Sometimes it shuts off when it shouldn't. Any suggestions..
sounds like it hasn't been serviced since it was put in. Time to get a service tech there and clean it up, set it up properly.
Bob

DIMwit wrote:

This problem could lead to some major explosions! Get it serviced immediately! Some more oil furnace info: http://www.udarrell.com/oil_furnace_heat_exchanger.html
--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

find yourself a heating & ac contractor who will sign you up on a service/maintenance plan.
scheduled maint & replacement of the oil filter is a lot cheaper than unscheduled replacement of the oil pump, know what I mean?
spend money now, to save money for the long term.
On 18 Dec 2006 15:06:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Just oil the motor and put a new $0.99 air filter in. You should be good as new. Dont listen to these so called "Experts" in here about servicing your oil furnace. That is a big waste of money. Oil furnaces never need servicing hardly. The oil they burn cleans out the lines, and nozzle by itself. Hope this helps. Happy Kwanza Bubba
HAHAHAHAHAHA.....RLMAO
Good one Bubba

Oh, one more item: buy a soot saber in case you might ever need one. One is all you'll ever need.
Bob

Bubba wrote:

The oil is under pressure (100#) and will wear out nozzle opening over time leading to overfiring in the burn chamber. The extra oil you'll burn as the fuel consumption rises isn't free- VERY BAD ADVICE!!!!!!!
Oil furnaces do need periodic service. One of the downsides of oil. Get someone to take a look at it.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

One of the downsides of oil is it needs service??? FWIW, ALL equipment regardless of the fuel it uses needs service. Every equipment manufacturer in bold letters dictates their equipment be serviced annually. There is a reason for that.
On 19 Dec 2006 05:05:07 -0800, "jamesgangnc"

--
Thank you for encouraging my behavior.

Steve Scott wrote:

who services the equipment on those deep space probes? :)
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote

Eric Cartman does....
--
Respectfully, Bob

The same engineers and rocket scientists that expect the cheapest heating and cooling system to run flawlessly with no maintenance *forever* , after its been installed by the lowest bidder.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:09:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Either Stormy or Dildo, that's why they get feet and meters confused and go whizzing into the planet at mach 4.
http://www.thehvacmedic.com - All the free heating and air answers you want!
Well, didn't you know? That's how Dido and I met. We both got the bid to work together on the space probes. So, we're out there in our moon suits, talking back and forth on our helmet radios. I ask what's his name, and he says DIdo DIdo DIdo. And I'm busy looking around for the French ambulance that sounds like it's about to run us over.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

posted for all of us...

Who services the equipment on deep anal probes?

They just say that to cover their butts. Hundreds of thousands of natural gas furnaces and heat pumps never see a service tech unless they are broken. Sometimes they are 15 years old before the first service call. Sometimes the first service call is the last because it's time for a new one. If a natural gas furnace is installed correctly then it doesn't need periodic maintenance. The only thing a periodic service call is doing is looking for something that is about to break. The cheaper alternative is to just wait till it breaks. It's not like the percent of oxygen in the air might have changed since last year.
Not true for oil. Need regular service. Equals downside because you have to pay for the service.
Steve Scott wrote:

That's just crap. Most failures are not caught by a service call.
Car's a different ballgame. It has service requirements. Car has parts that are known to only last part of the car's total service life. Everything in a gas furnace is designed to last the life of the furnace in normal operation. It no more needs servicing than your tv does. Or your pc. Or your clothes washer. Could you go through any of those pieces of equipment and check to see if there are any signs of premature failure or situations now exceeding design limits? Sure you could. Do you? No, because it's not cost effective.
"Servicing" most residential hvac equipment is just a scam to make more money for the service companies.
Cept oil. Oil furnaces really need servicing. Just like cars.