condensate drain cleaning?

Hello all, We live in Georgia and have a Rheem A/C unit. I just read about the need to have condensate drain cleaned out every year. Thus far, we have never done this for the last 4 years in this house.

Is once a year a good rule of thumb? How does a person who is not hands-on type verify if this needs to be done?

We have an attic where we go to change the A/C filters. Then there are units outside the house. Should the drain be checked outside the house?

Any help appreciated! THANKS

Reply to
ap

Call a local HVAC company and get set up on a service agreement. They will take care of it, all you do is change the filter and write them a check once a year to keep it serviced. Wasn't that easy??

Reply to
Noon-Air

I would check references. I have used several "Professional" services, only to find out they all are different. Some send some kid that is just learning. I have heard from some, that some components in the 'Air Handler' need to be removed to be cleaned (A-Coil). And not to let them cut a hole in the return duct to clean it the A-Coil. Your best bet is to get it 'Professionally' cleaned.... But by whom???

My AC has two drains. One from the drain pan (Emergency drain). The other drains all the time. That line has a "T" in it and a cap that removes so I can pour bleach in the line (Annually). It cleans the line out to the trap next to where the compressor is outside.

Reply to
Bill

Thumb rules are always good. Just make sure how many thumbs you use.

Look in the right place.

Yes. Outside. Just look in the end of the white pipe. If its clear, all is good. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba