Which Soil?

Hi All

Recently built raised beds (quite deep and long) and need to fill them for plants and shrubs (not herbs or veg). Will require 2-3 tonnes of soil to fill the beds - but what sort of soil should I be looking to use? Will normal topsoil suffice or should I use blended topsoil, blended loam...help!

How do I know I will be purchasing decent quality soil? Can anyone recommend a decent source/supplier in the Berkshire region.

Should I use richer soil/compost blend around the roots of the shrubs and plants?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Reply to
theowls

I'd go with any bulk soil that is inexpensive. Raised beds already offer an advantage of improved drainage so that is not an immediate concern. 'Topsoil' is a very generic term that can mean anything, depending on supplier. Ask your supplier to see the various products on offer and judge quality for yourself. If your soil supplier offers a blended garden planting mix, go with that. If not, a "topsoil" amended with compost should be fine -- 1 part compost to 3 parts soil is more than adequate. Excessive amounts of compost or other organic matter will result in serious 'shrinkage' and you'll have to top off the beds the following season. That can be tricky for plants that have already been planted, resulting in roots that are too deeply buried or plants that will need to be lifted.

Reply to
gardengal

Thanks for your advice Gardengal. Much appreciated.

Reply to
theowls