What flower is this?

Hello. I have had this plant for many years now (from my grandma), and we always called it Camellia - but I googled for images of camellias I haven't found any that resemble this one. Is it really that? If not, could anyone please tell me what it is?Thank you!
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Photo0112.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 354| |Filename: Photo0114.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 355| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
Adria

On 10/4/12 5:22 AM, Adria wrote:

Not all camellias have the classic formal flower, either a plain "formal double" or a "rose-form double". Some have what are called "anemone form", which is a disc of petals surrounding an irregular mass of petals in the center. Others have "peony form", which is a double with an irregular mass of petals.
It does look like a cluster of camellia flowers instead of a single flower. However, if your photo is indeed of a single flower, this might be a species other than C. japonica or C. sasanqua.
Check <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia> for the other species. That site also lists three camellia societies.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Assuming that the leaves in the photographs belong to the same plant as the flower/s, is there a Camellia with leaves of that shape?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

writes

Aha! Someone else who thinks those leaves are wrong for a camellia!!!!
Looks like a peony
writes

writes

Thank you all for the answers so far. Still,it isn't a peony, and the leaves are not those of hydrangea...The flower is like a small bouquet (the little flowers forming it are about 1.5 cm in diameter, and the petals are quite thick), and it gives off a very strong and pleasant smell. It isn't woody, and the leaves are not camellia-like either...That is why I really can't find an answer...Well, the leaves smell somehow like geranium leaves. The flowers also have a sugar-like substance on them...
'Farm1[_4_ Wrote: > ;970252']"Marsha" snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote in message

> "formal

> petals

> might

> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia) for the other species.

> camellia!!!!

Adria

It is Clerodendron chinense plenifolrum
description in Sunset Garden book: " pale pink double flowers w/ a sweet fragrance, broad clusters of flowers resembling florist's hydrangeas. " You used the word 'Bouquet' which made me think of Cashmere Bouquet another Clerodendron The scented leaves was another good clue!
Emilie

the flower/s, is there a Camellia with leaves of that shape?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

The leaves look wrong for it to be a camellia. The whole plant looks wrong - it just doesn't look woody enough to be a camellia to my way of thinking. The foliage/stems etc have got more the look of a hydrangea (in terms of non-woodiness) than a camellia. And before anyone says it's not a hydrangea, I'm not saying it is one - just has the same sort of toughish, but non-woody stem structure.

Finally!!! :) Thank you, Emilie! I have also found pictures on google now as Chinese glory bower, this is it :) Now I have to find its name in my language (I'm from Romania :) Thank you again! :)
Kay Lancaster;970316 Wrote: > On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 12:22:46 +0000, Adria > snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk wrote:-

> http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 354|

> http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 355|

Adria

Spelling correction: Clerodendrum The Latin name is correct in any language..............that is............ if it is spelled correctly! LOL mle

Adria;970324 Wrote: > Finally!!! :) Thank you, Emilie! I have also found pictures on google > now as Chinese glory bower, this is it :) Now I have to find its name in > my language (I'm from Romania :) Thank you again! :)
What an extraordinary and diverse family Clerodendrum is. According to wikipedia, there is no common Romanian name for them. Even in English, the name "glorybower" is not well known, at least it isn't here in England, you are far more likely to be sold a Clerodendrum trichotomum var. fargesii than a Harlequin glorybower.
echinosum