What are these flowers?

While in New Zealand we visited a garden in an area north of Rotorua where people can grow tender Vireya Rhododendrons in their gardens and saw these flowers.

have no idea what they are. I thought they might be a Chinese Primula but they apparently don't come in blues and these came in white, lavendar, light blue and blue. It is not a typical primula leaf.

Please help me. I am giving a talk to a garden club about NZ rhododendrons but it would be great it I could give some clue as to what these flowers are. I am curious also.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

They are cineraria or Pericallis x hybridus (syn. Cineraria cruentus), a member of the aster family native to the Canary Islands. Normally sold as an annual or flowering houseplant in this country, they like the similar moist, shady conditions of primulas.

pam - gardengal

Pam - gardengal

Absolutely right on, Pam.

You beat me to it.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Thanks very much. You hit it right on the head.

Reply to
S. M. Henning