Weeping Willow?

I've read that they can help dry out wet spots in your yard.. any experience with that? Thanks!
On Tue, 04 May 2004 18:18:05 +0000, amylou wrote:

They do help soggy soil or rather the can stand wet locations. I doubt that you'll see too much of an improvement in the soggy area. The area may dry out sooner or stay drier longer. I would recommend that you deal with the water source if possible. Curtain drains, hard piping or redirection...etc would be a more perminate answer.

They will grow in the wetter spots but they aren't magic pumps.

This is an old gardener's tale and not true. Plants will only take up as much water as they need to transpire. Willows (most) are moisture lovers and will tolerate very wet conditions but they will not necessarily "dry out" wet spots. If your wet spot is not very wet, you may see some improvement, but you may also see the willow roots seeking out alternate water sources, like your sewer system and underground water pipes. These are best planted in large suburban or rural spaces far away from any underground plumbing or septic drain fields.
pam - gardengal
I believe its more like they can tolerate boggy or wet conditions better than the avergae tree. Don;t look for one to suck up all that excess water, as its not going to happen.........
On Tue, 04 May 2004 18:18:05 GMT, "amylou"

Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.