Wanted: Deadly, Thorny Shrub

Page 2 of 3

You can grow your own "whomping willow". All you need is Harry Potter's Chamber Pot of Secrets. The fertilizer is the key.
Robert Chambers wrote:

Maybe Doug needs to plant an "Audrey".
(that ought to confuse a few folks)
Bob
On 12/1/04 11:50 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "zxcvbob"

No - what is so confusing? LOL
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

It's a literary reference, and that always confuses *somebody*.
Bob
On 12/2/04 9:07 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "zxcvbob"

Or a play or movie (and boy was it BAD) reference. That does make it a little more accessible! Cheryl
I did too, until the first movie came out and I went to see it. pricked my curiosity so I got a book, then all the books. the books are infinitely better. Ingrid

Agreed, but still a decent showing of movies; especially when compared to most of the cr*p out there! Cheryl
On 12/3/04 8:59 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news-server.wi.rr.com,

On 12/1/04 8:10 PM, in article 3Ytrd.25458$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com,

They are well worth the read and/or watch. Not the best of best, but darn good!
Cheryl

My barberry would literally shred the sleeves of a flannel shirt if I dared reach into it. Different variety, maybe. I didn't plant the original one - it came with the house and might've been close to 50 years old.

Flowering quince ( Chaenomeles speciosa ). My parents had one of these bastardly plants in front of a bay window that I had to paint several times over the years. Unfortunately, they've sold the house and now I'll never get to trim it with a lawnmower, dig up the roots and salt the earth where it grew.
http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/japonica.htm
Stout thorns is a severe understatement.

Thorny? You don't know what thorny is until you plant a S. jankalski, now that's one thorny sombitch....
Vox Humana wrote:

I have a flowering quince, but it must not be the same as yours as it doesn't have thorns (at least none that I have noticed.) It is a hideous plant most of the year, with an unruly spray of branches. If it wasn't for the couple of weeks of beautiful flowers in the early spring, I would have pitched the pants years ago. The previous owners had it in the front yard, and I promptly moved it to a less visible place in the back yard. Here is link to a picture: http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegardens/04132001.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID

Nice photo. And here's mine: http://www.paghat.com/quince.html Chaenomeles japonica cultivars are not especially thorny (on some varieties the thorns are so blunt they barely qualify as thorns, & on others the thorns are entirely missing). Chaenomeles speciosa is much thornier, though it too has some thornless cultivars. I suspect yours is a hybrid of both those species (marketed as C. superba), as the hybrids seem to be the ones with double-flowers & no thorns & stay short in stature.
I find quinces beautiful year-round, but I usually prefer a wild-woods look over something formal. I don't like them when they are often-pruned in an attempt to make them look tidy & more compact, as they become instead like tight but messy little birdnests made of stumpy twigs, but allowed to spread out into a loose tangle of thickening limbs they're lovely.
-paghat the ratgirl
Vox Humanawrote:

I went outside and checked mine. Not even a hint of a thorn. It has remained rather short, unlike the pictures that I have seen in web searches. It has no fragrance and I haven't seen any obvious fruit.
I made the mistake of pruning it when I moved it. The plant was growing a few feet from a red maple and the roots were commingled. Removing it was a big job and it suffered in the process - with significant die-back. My attempts to prune it left it looking worse that if I had done nothing. Oh well, live and learn. I have grown to appreciate plants for their natural form and am a lot less likely to prune solely for aesthetic reasons.
I have often gone to your website for information. I really appreciate it. Do you have any "long shots" of your garden? All I recall seeing are wonderful close-ups and always which that I could get an idea of what your garden looks like. It must be wonderful.

There are long shots scattered through the website, here are a few:
snow-covered cedar in back yard: http://www.paghat.com/libani.html
Alaska cedar at other end of back yard: http://www.paghat.com/alaskacedar.html
Same back yard path from opposite direction, between Alaska Cedar & abutilon, third photo down: http://www.paghat.com/abutilon.html
View from deck into back yard: http://www.paghat.com/vinemaple.html
Second photo down, paperbark maple in front yard, autumn colors: http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees3.html
Photo last on page, Japanese maple viewed from sidewalk, autumn colors: http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees1.html
That same chokecherry viewed in winter covered with snow, viewed from inside the tree-enclosed front yard: http://www.paghat.com/snowyday.html
Another view of that Japanese maple from sidewalk, together with an enormous chokecherry in full bloom: http://www.paghat.com/chokecherry.html
Third photo down, another Japanese maple, side of house, autumn: http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees1a.html
Path with 'Hino Crimson' & muscaris in full bloom, 'Lee's Best Purple' rhody around the corner captured at corner of photo:
http://www.paghat.com/images/hinopath_ap.jpg
Same path from opposite direction & around the corner by the 'Lee's Best':
http://www.paghat.com/images/pathpicnicarea_may.jpg
Another view of the picnic area (lawn) by path by 'Lee's Best' seen from sidewalk, somewhat "framed" by the two Japanese maples red left, purple right:
http://www.paghat.com/images/picnicspot.jpg
Path through shade corridor, lots of blooms: pathshadecorridor_may.jpg
A scruffy path at corner of back yard, passing deciduous azalea not in bloom:
http://www.paghat.com/images/path_august.jpg
Lion's head maple near back door, second-to-last photo: http://www.paghat.com/autumntrees2.html
-paghat the ratgirl
wrote in message

You have some great fall color! I hadn't seen the lion's head maple before. It was stunning.

Oh, there is. Even nastier, is a concealed plank full of long nails, carelessly left lying around by the property owner after he was using it to clear autumn leaves. Extensive tyre damage really upsets bikers and uninvited carparkers.
Janet.
contains these words:

I like the idea, but in this world of litigation, I'm sure if someone got injured on a nail encrusted board, there would be lawyers involved. Every time these issues come up there is a common theme. People are not responsible for their kids or pets. When you say something to the contrary, you are a very bad person indeed. You hate pets and eat small children for breakfast. You are anti-family and a danger to civilization. Kid will be kids and it is your responsibility to make sure that they don't drink that gasoline or motor oil while they explore your garage. When your dog nips them as they thrust their hand through the fence, then it is your fault.
contains these words:

Someone told me recently that I should be OK with dog crap on my carpet, shoes & car mats because Oxy-Clean does a fine job of cleaning it up. At times like that, I wish I had a can of spray paint to apply to the person's shirt and hair, so they can go home and see what a great job paint thinner does at removing paint.
I noticed that dogs hate walking on metal grates. Also, they dislike anything small sticking up -- even a lot of buried popsicle sticks could deter them.