turnip questions

Hi All,
I was thinking of growing some turnips this year.
Questions:
1) what are the rules on ripping off the greens? How many to pick and how many to leave? And, cut, tear, pull from where? At the base? leave a few inches?
2) how do you know when to pick the bulbs without digging them up to look? Is there some indication that they are in picking range? Sacrifice a few? Just watch you calendar?
Many thanks, -T
On Friday, May 10, 2013 1:44:40 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

This site has info about harvesting the GREENS: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/harvest-turnip-greens-seed-pods-21976.html
I've never used them, though I've always heard that the most nutritious part of the plant IS the greens. I know people who float torn leaves on soup/stew.

little out of the earth. Be sure to dig deep around when harvesting; I have been known to slice into carrots -- my bad.
A good site for harvesting turnips:
http://www.gardenguides.com/68787-harvest-turnips.html
Good luck!
HB

On 05/10/2013 02:32 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

a little out of the earth. Be sure to dig deep around when harvesting; I have been known to slice into carrots -- my bad.

Thank you!