Tool Needed.......

I am looking for a tool that is like a bulb planting tool, but smaller, maybe the diameter of a quarter? Does anyone know of such a tool?
chaz

A dibber?
"........I am looking for a tool that is like a bulb planting tool, but smaller, maybe the diameter of a quarter? Does anyone know of such a tool? ............"
Why not use a length of copper pipe.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:03:21 +0000, chaz wrote:

A good source for garden tools is Lee Valley: www.leevalley.com Another is AM Leonard: www.amleo.com
You might find what you need there.

Visit a hardware store, I'm sure you'll be able find the perfect diameter pipe. For a foot of pipe, I doubt you'll pay more then a dollar. Have them thread 1 side, and add on a T connector to give a mini handle you can grip.
Sameer
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:54:35 GMT, "Snooze"

Nifty idea, but...if the OP wants this to dig smaller holes than a bulb planter, how's he gonna get the dirt out? OTOH, a pipe with a hole drilled through it so a rod/nail could be pushed through and easily removed...?
Frogleg wrote:

Sounds like a job for a soil sampler. It's a length of pipe, maybe 1" diameter, with a section cut out of one side a couple of inches above the bottom. T handle on top. One presses it into the ground and it takes a core sample of the soil, which is then removed from the open section. A small core remains below the open section, but it is easily pushed up by the next sample.
You can buy one for $50, but I suspect that 1" EMT (thinwall electrical conduit) would be ideal if you want to make your own. Maybe even 3/4". Iron water pipe is sturdier, but more expensive, harder to work with, and heavier to use. Copper tubing is more expensive and not as strong. However, if you have something like that lying about, it would work. If you have to buy something, try Home Depot or probably many hardware stores. If you know an electrician he probably has leftover bits of conduit. The $50 version is probably heavier duty, but for $50 you can probably build 50 of them (not including labor).
Dwight Sipler wrote:

Of course, if you're male, "any good project is an excuse for a new tool"
On 3/4/04 7:55 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@haystack.mit.edu, "Dwight

Hey, I resemble that remark and I AM NOT male.
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Please accept my condolances.
On 3/4/04 3:05 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@haystack.mit.edu, "Dwight

None needed - I love watching males jaws drop when I can fix their cars.
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I have a 1976 Ford F650 dump truck that needs some brake work....
On 3/4/04 3:33 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@haystack.mit.edu, "Dwight

I said cars not trucks!
Cheryl

OK, I have a 69 Lamborghini that needs the valves adjusted...;-))
On 3/4/04 7:09 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m05.aol.com,

Only if I can take it for a drive after! and you pay the ticket!;) Cheryl
wrote

Even better, cut a saddle shaped segment out an inch or two above the end of the pipe-more room to push out the dirt.
J. Del Col

Look for what's called a "dibble."

A Lancashire apple-corer/potato peeler.
Janet

The tool is called a "dibble" A fid would probably work Otherwise if you need it to be hollow and remove a core you want a soil sampler.
"........... I am looking for a tool that is like a bulb planting tool, but smaller, maybe the diameter of a quarter? Does anyone know of such a tool? ..........."
Out of curiosity, what do you want the smaller holes for?
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries