Tomato 'sport'

How common are tomato 'sports'? I have one on an Italian tomato plant which has 9 or 10 typical slightly elongated Roma-like tomatoes, and one very different broad plump and 2-3 times the size of the others? Color is just beginning to turn. Is this common or should I get excited?

RHR

Reply to
RHR

I can't answer your questions, but I recommend you save the seeds if you like those "sports."

A decade or so ago, one of my "Sweet 100" plants produced tomatoes that were slightly larger than the others. I saved the seeds and planted them the following year. Been doing that for, as I said, a decade or so.

This year, what I call my "golfball" plants are producing tomatoes that are slightly more than 1.5 inches in diameter. That's about three times the diameter, IIRC, of the original "Sweet 100" tomato.

vince norris

Reply to
vincent p. norris

Maybe try to keep a cutting from the sport over the winter and replant next spring, you might have something interesting, or you might not. anyway, it should be worth the effort to find out.

Reply to
Charles