Tomato Beds

I'm in the process of setting up my planting beds. Does it make any difference on yield if the beds run East and West or North and South. I live in Missouri, and plan to plant Big Boy and Cherry tomatoes.

Reply to
brsher

I'm in the process of setting up my planting beds. Does it make any difference on yield if the beds run East and West or North and South. I live in Missouri, and plan to plant Big Boy and Cherry tomatoes.

Reply to
brsher

My main garden planting beds run east and west. This gives the tomatoes and other sun loving veggies the maximum exposure to sunshine as the sun moves across the sky from sunrise to sunset. I put my chile plants in a bed that runs north and south and in a place that is shaded before about

1 pm and after 4 pm. I found out by accident that the heat affects them better than just the hot sun. I live in SW Louisiana, USDA Zone 9b.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

you almost always want to run you beds north and south so that your plants will shade each other as little as possible.

Reply to
lwhaley

IMHO, it depends on your latitude. I'm in upstate NY and I have raised beds that are both: E-W and N-S. There is a huge difference in the sun's position over the course of the growing season. The E-W beds get sun on their southern side all day. The N-S beds get more sun on the south end. But for tomatoes it's almost a moot point because they spend most of their life during the time of year when the sun is almost directly overhead (middle of the season).

Brooccoli and collards, which will grow when the sun is farther down in the sky (beginning and end of the season), need the E-W beds so that they catch the southern exposure.

Reply to
Tapper