To Mulch or Not to Mulch

I have a nice bed of about 2 dozen foxglove. Should I plan to mulch them after it freezes or leave them exposed?
Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin
----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road -----------------

I cast 11 votes for mulch. Don't ask how I came up with 11. :-) But, wait until the ground freezes.
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 01:22:52 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

WHY???
Persephone
(where the ground never freezes)
<Persephone> wrote in message >>>I have a nice bed of about 2 dozen foxglove. Should I plan to mulch them

Where the ground DOES freeze, mulch can keep it from freezing quickly and completely. That can cause expansion & contraction around plant roots, also known as heaving. Not good for the plants. Once the ground freezes, you want it to stay frozen until spring, rather than freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw.
Foxglove is a biennial plant and will flower on this years growth. The plant flowers, throws seed, it germinates and those plantlets stay over winter in the soil and bloom in spring. The plant which bloomed this year will be dead. With that in mind, check around for any germinated seeds on the soil and after the soil freezes, put down some mulch, but lighty.

Well, the bed is almost entirely NEW plants that I hope will bloom next year. They were started from seed this spring. I am guessing that I need to much ( as you say LIGHTLY" and get the mulch off early in the spring! Right?
Ron H.

----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road -----------------
No, I would leave the mulch in place in spring and put down more as you can determine the plants you want to keep and those which are weeds. Over the season, the mulch will break down and the seeds will drop again on a thin layer of mulch and germinate, flowering the following year...that's the cycle.