Tiller Maintenance

A neighbor garderner who is nearing his nineties gave me his old Murray front-tine tiller (model # 2-13051A) which had lain dormant in his garden shed for years disabled with a set of bad points in the engine.
It's a "forward/reverse" rig powered by a 5 h.p. Briggs 4 cylce with two drive pulleys. The tines are super heavy duty, of heavier gauge metal than you see on any of the brands commonly available today--and I like it a lot.
The tag on the tiller body gives Date of Manufacture as "1264" --but if that means December of 1964 (I had to wash my glasses before I was willing to believe it) then I should not be surprised to find it's on its second engine, which according to the code number stamped on it, is a 1981 model.
Now that I've got the old beast up and running just like new again, I'm hoping there's somebody out there who is maybe around a 150 years old (or better) who can tell me if that black cap I see on the rear of what looks like the chain drive housing is a lubrication port. I assume it's got a chain drive in there by looking at the shape of the case (also of heavy gauge metal with many, many bolts) that contains it.
In short, I have no idea of what the maintenence procedure for this thing may be.
--
JM
http://whosenose.blogspot.com/

Perhaps you'll find help here: http://www.murray.com/contact/contact_us_75.asp
And here: http://www.murray.com/products/combined_search.asp?search=Model&type=OM
In article <66a97b76-8547-4465-a760-07b9fbff7d15

Not much. If you can flush the chain case and re-fill with a good gear grease, and change the motor oil, that's about it. It's a simple machine. When the seals go, you can replace them, or just lube it before each session, at your option. For something that old, you may not be able to get replacement parts. If you are lucky, they built it with off the shelf seals and bearings, which means you might be able to keep it running forever.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:55:54 +0000, enigma wrote:

Yes, this is true, you've occasionally posted in rec.gardens over the years - nice to 'meet' you!
And to lee:
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:55:54 +0000, enigma wrote:

Ah, yes, I was totally confused. Thanx for clearing that up!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:00:32 -0400, Ann wrote:

It's been a while since I subscribed to r.g, but I know some of my posts have found their way there since via cross-posts I've replied to. I'm Ann-PA-5a.