there has to be an easier way

My plums are ripe. taste great and I've already gathered enough to make a half batch of wine(if i wished)
thing is, they are a pain to pit. local wineshop told me to freeze them to help macerate(masticate? crush) sould i do this with the pits in? is there an easy way to pit plums? I'd assume boiling them would help, but that might draw out icky stuff from the pits

I used to pit plums on the fly to feed my draft horse. I simply grabbed the plun, stuck my thumbs into it and pushed out the pit. Took two seconds and my spoiled baby got the juicy bits with no annoying pits.
he stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and said "what a good boy am I"??????
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:41:39 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

and how many gallons did you do at a time? just collected 2-3 today, expect more tommorrow

I don't know. How many gallons do you think it takes to keep a 1700# horse happy? <shrug> He ate the daily crop of plums, pitted. I never thought to count/weigh/measure them. Sorry.
BTW, are you sure you really want to do this? You sure sound unhappy over just about every aspect of it. Perhaps it's easier just to buy what you want.

yhe I want to do this. i have about a dozen plum trees (a 15ft tall plant is NOT a bush!) and either i do this or let them rot, and I am unhappy about wasting them like that.
still thinking of getting the ladder up to get those high ones, next year i am pruning with a vengance!

You're almost ready to open your own mini-U-pick operation there. You know, look for someone with a "will pick for plums" sign out :-).

heh, this fall i am cutting the trees in half. no pinmt in having plums that are 15 feet off the ground.
hows that for agressive pruning?

Probably somebody mentioned this already --but you could get someone from a local food bank to pick the fruit. I used to get somebody from St.Joseph's to pick my oversupply of peaches. Would be terrible to let nutritious fresh food go to waste, when there are people who can't afford to buy it.
Persephone
Tater wrote:

stayed with peach, I'd leave it in. Initial ferment in 12 gal food grade containers with added sugar and water, then siphon into secondary fermenter with air lock to complete. Maybe 8-9 gallons of must to get 5 gallons of wine.