The Things We Do For Love

The wildflower garden became overrun with the area's worst weeds: poison ivy, honeysuckle, black mulberry, black cherry, and worst of all, wild rosebush. Using a combination of manual and power implements last fall, I leveled the area. The game plan is to mow over the area; eventually it will revert to grass.

So this spring the Warrior Princess (my old lady) said that she wanted to save a few of the daylilies and transplant them into another flower garden that she weeds regularly. "No!" sez I. We agreed to no more picks and shovels. No more planting except for annuals like impatiens and geraniums. When you're into your geezerhood, it's time to kick back a little. "Just a half dozen or so clumps," says she.

So there she is this AM, digging into the daylilies. The ground's hard as rock due to lack of rain. So what choice did I have but to grab the pick and pitch-in? After six clumps were up, "Oh get those three more over there .... how 'bout the five over there ...." On and on we worked. Now I'm in pretty good shape for a geezie, daily jogging, etc. but she has the energy of Superwoman despite several serious medical problems requiring meds 24/7. This is because one of those meds is Prednisone for one of her conditions called polymyalgia rheumatica. She sleeps at most four hrs. a night.

Anyway, we dug up about 50 clumps (What happened to "half dozen or so"?) and then had to enlarge the 2nd garden and dig the daylilies new homes. I'm wiped out but she's still out there planting the clumps and probably will be until dark. Guess I'll check on her every half hr. or so.

Bro Jack

Reply to
Bro Jack

They don't make women like that anymore. I'd be sure she has the finest tools available....

Reply to
Phxbrd

Taggin on.....There is something about saving those clumps and nurturing them into the pride they once were again, Bro Jack. Maybe it has to do with the children that are grown now, but we need to salvage, as it sustains our hearts.

Just my prospective. faith

Reply to
faith

and run her a hot bath to get her tired super woman butt in the house. It sounds like she's done enough for one day. (I more than understand that keeping going thing. Sometime we just have to be gently stopped............) And I'd buy her one of those expensive daylilies just to tickle her....... but that's just me........ madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

stopped............)

Real women don't need or want such coddling. Just tell her she's been doing a good job and there will always be room for her....

Reply to
Phxbrd