The Japanese Beetles did not come this year!

We live in North of Atlanta. The Japanese Beetles had attacked our gardens every year between the end of April and the beginning of May . But it's strange. The JB did not come this year! Any one has any idea? Does this similar to the dieing of bees in the US by the cell phone frequencies?

I don't know if it is the reason or not, but I'm betting that it has something to do with the drought in our area. I live in the mountains north of Atlanta and in the past when we have had years as dry as this has been, I've notice the hatch delayed as late as July (when we finally started seeing frequent ground-soaking rains). Might be Mother Nature telling them that there is not much green stuff to eat right now.
KW
Here in coastal North Carolina I have not seen Japanese Beetles for several years, very unusual. I used to have them all over my roses and raspberries. When a pest as pernicious as Jap Beetles vanishes, one has some cause for concern -- not that I miss them.
Karl W.
Oh, you all give me such hope...
Cheryl in Central IL
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I, too have not seen a single JB this year. I saw my first about 5 years ago after which they rapidly multiplied. The last two summers were horrible.
Last summer, I sprinkled milky spore on my lawn, but I know this didn't get rid of all of the beetles in a few months,let alone my neighbors.
I think the Easter freeze along with the southeastern drought has decreased their number. It's amazing how nature takes care of itself even if we humans do suffer for a little while (with freezes and drought ).
I doubt the cellular theory applies to JB. They are not as migratory as bees. JB's come out of the ground, find their food souce (usually nearby), eat, have sex, eat, have more sex, lay eggs near the food source, then they die.
it's already June. The JB will not come this year. it will be amazed if those come back next year.
Sean
I noticed. OTOH, I think I have seen our first firefly... zone 5(6)? near the lake. Ingrid
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:34:56 -0700, sean snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:42:22 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

I just saw the FIRST JB yesterday, zone 7, e.TN. The fireflies and daytime mosquitoes have been around for some weeks now.