the best mulch for zone 19

My soil is really dense, very rich, and right now super soggy. tried a google search and did not get too far. please help.

Reply to
Someone

I use fallen leaves to mulch my beds. I use them without chopping, shredding, or composting. (But I also compost leaves.) The leaves provide a cushion when it rains, keeping the soil from compacting. In the summer, they keep the soil cool and moist. Evetually, they form a compost (actually leafmold, which I think is better).

If your soil is really soggy, it might be clay. My soil is mostly adobe clay, really heavy and sticky when wet. I broadcast a lot of gypsum on the soil just before the rainy season (the "not so dry" season here in southern California). It reacts with the clay to make it somewhat porous, helping excess moisture to drain deeper.

Reply to
David Ross

thank you very much. I think it is clay. It feels that way and it packs down pretty badly. I am nervous about using leaves, the trees seems like overgrown weeds next to the flowerbed I am working. Does that matter?

Reply to
Someone

the best mulch is the one that you like, that fits your budget, that is available.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

It is not a good idea to walk on or work your soil when it is soggy.

Reply to
Travis

Can someone please tell me where is zone 19?????????

Reply to
Dennis Hoy

los angeles

Reply to
Someone

That's bullshit. You may be in zone 9, or even zone 10 (maybe), but you sure aren't in zone 19. There is no zone 19.

Reply to
Dennis Hoy

There may be no USDA zone 19, but that doesn't mean there is no zone 19:

I'll bet you make quite an impression of people with your ability to drop some crude language at the drop of a hat.

Reply to
Warren

Zone 19 is in Southern California

Reply to
IntarsiaCo

Try Sunset zones.

Reply to
GrampysGurl

The link you cite gives the following message: "The page you requested is available only to magazine customers and AOL members".

Reply to
David Ross

Radio man got quiet! Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.

-- Aldo Leopold

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

There is in Sunset magazine's system, which is at least as well known to gardeners in southern California. Sunset divides mild-winter areas according to microclimate, because this can make a big difference in growing plants sensitive to dry air or even slight frost.

[Briefly, zone 19 is a zone with air drainage (thus less frost than adjacent zone 18) and little or no marine influence (thus hotter and less humid than adjacent zone 20). It is an ideal zone for citrus and other frost-sensitive heat-dependent plantings, more challenging for drought-sensitive things like evergreen azaleas.]
Reply to
Christopher Green

Sounds like a good zone to build a semi-shading pergola from which to hang orchid cacti.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Indeed. Also, lathhouses such as the epiphyllum house at the San Diego Wild Animal Park work very well in inland Southern California.

Reply to
Christopher Green

yesh, orcids grow well here.

Reply to
Someone

thank you.

Reply to
Someone

by the way i put down the redwood compost & gypsum recommended here. looks so purty!

Reply to
Someone