Starting Seeds form Hybrid Plants????

I've purchased quite a few seeds this year and started all my vegetables and annuals from scratch. Much of these varieties are hybrid type, especially the plants for hanging baskets. My question is what will result if I cultivate seed from these hybrid plants to use for next years crop??? Sure would be nice if it will work since I spent about $150.00 in seed this year...thanks

Reply to
tuckedawaytoo

The seeds will NOT grow into the same kind of plant they came from, instead they'll revert to one or both of the plants that where used to make the hybred.

Reply to
Starlord

Hybrids revert to previous generations and you will lose some of the good traits. It hard to rip out volunteer tomatoes but whenever I keep them, the results are usually very acidic and sometimes there is too much pulp, etc.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Hi

Your F1 F2 hybrids will be sterile and not produce viable seeds.

Derryl

Reply to
Derryl

I wonder if that's true with most, rather than all? For example, the F1 ornamental millet I planted two years ago came true from the collected seed last year.....

Cheryl

Reply to
clc

Reply to