St John's Wort (Perennial) Care

I planted several St John's Wort perennials last spring in my NJ garden. As Fall approached, I wasn't totally sure if I should have trimmed the plant to its base or not. Since its shrubby in nature, the woody growth and many of the leaves remained on during the Winter months. Do I trim it back in the spring to its base or not?
On 18 Mar 2007 06:54:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I'd wait till the end of May when things start to get growing in your Zone. Most likely the branches died back and then you can just clean it up.
On 18 Mar 2007 06:54:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I have feilds full of it and I bush hog them once every other year or so to keep the trees out of the wild flower meadows. It does not seem to slow the Wort down at all.