squirrel or rat in attic?

My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I cannot recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a mouse or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this. Could you identify it? I took photos of it and posted them on this website:

Richard Gordon snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Rockford

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I :) cannot recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a :) mouse or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this. Could :) you identify it? I took photos of it and posted them on this website: :)

:) :) Richard Gordon :) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com :) :) Maybe a flying squirrel..not sure. What part of the country are you in.. I can give the link to exterminators in your area to look at it.

Reply to
Lar

Looks like a young grey squirrel. Their tails don't fluff when they're dead.

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

Hi Richard,

I agree that without knowing where you are located it would b difficult to say what species of squirrel starved to death in you friend's Havahart trap. You might want to inform your friend that th trap is designed to live trap and release the 'pest', not let it starv to death because he went on a trip.

Now that I've ranted, I'd like to warn your friend to have every inc of electrical wires inspected in the attic. Friends of ours didn't d this and it took two years for the chewed wires to overheat and bur the house half down.

New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

I am not an expert, but did anyone in the neibhorhood lose a pet gerbil? It looks extremely similar to a gerbil to me...

Tony snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Bear Drummer