squirrel or rat in attic?

My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I cannot recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a mouse or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this. Could you identify it? I took photos of it and posted them on this website: www.gordonrichard.com/rodent
Richard Gordon snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I :) cannot recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a :) mouse or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this. Could :) you identify it? I took photos of it and posted them on this website: :) www.gordonrichard.com/rodent :) :) Richard Gordon :) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com :) :) Maybe a flying squirrel..not sure. What part of the country are you in.. I can give the link to exterminators in your area to look at it.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Rockford wrote:

Looks like a young grey squirrel. Their tails don't fluff when they're dead.
Dawn
Rockford Wrote:

Hi Richard,
I agree that without knowing where you are located it would b difficult to say what species of squirrel starved to death in you friend's Havahart trap. You might want to inform your friend that th trap is designed to live trap and release the 'pest', not let it starv to death because he went on a trip.
Now that I've ranted, I'd like to warn your friend to have every inc of electrical wires inspected in the attic. Friends of ours didn't d this and it took two years for the chewed wires to overheat and bur the house half down.
New
-- Newt
I am not an expert, but did anyone in the neibhorhood lose a pet gerbil? It looks extremely similar to a gerbil to me...
Tony snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com