Small blue-white flowers in lawn, are they flowers or weeds?- photo

Some pretty little flowers have sprung up in a section of the lawn this spring. I suspect they are weeds, but if by chance they are some kind of flowers, I'll transplant them. Photo here:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/ncstockguy/bluish-white-flowers.jpg
North Carolina Zone 7

Violets and they are a horror to get out of a lawn.
Pull every one you see, be sure to push your fingers down into the soil and get the tuber they grow out of.
Don't be tempted to move them into your borders.
They're very pretty in deep woods away from lawns though.
ncstockguy wrote:

Those are violets. See http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbViolet.htm for a more common color. Yours are very pretty.
gloria p
Thanks for the info. Lawn weed killer does them in. I'll try transplanting a couple to the woods, otherwise, they are outta there. Pretty but not in the grass.

ncstockguy wrote:

I sure don't see any grass/lawn... looks like those violets are growing in a parsley patch.

If weed killer works for you, please post details.
Mine laughed at the weed killer, applied multiple times.
ncstockguy wrote:

What would be so terrible about having them in the lawn? Put another way why must a lawn be nothing but grass and if rumours are to be believed just one cultivar of grass in many cases?
David

This again?
Isn't weed control one of the basics of gardening?
Maybe this should be rec.let.the.yard.run.wild?
Violets look like cr*p in the lawn.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Yes but the definition of "weed" is not universal over time or place. My point is many people have taken in this vision of what a lawn must be like and that they must have a lawn. I am not trying to tell them what to do but get them to think if in their circumstances there is a good reason for this attitude.

If that is your judgement by all means root them out. Others may not think so.
David

Maybe lawns make sense where, if it isn't foggy, it's raining, but to the rest of the world, lawns are soooo 19th century. Unless it is a golf course, in which case, it is an anachronism of the ruling class and a freakin' waste of space. Kids can't play on it. People can't walk on it. Weeds can't grow in it. Its sole purpose is to enrich MONSANTO, you stupid bloody bastard. IMHO.
Your obedient servant,
LOL... I was wondering if this would turn into a weed-not weed- what is a lawn discussion. A weed, of course is only a plant growing where you don't want it to grow.
As for the lawn, we have reduced our lawn to very small patches of green grass. The rest we have converted to what we call 'natural area' covered in leaves and pine straw beneath and around the trees. I have shrunk the lawn area by 2/3 over the years. Less maintenance and mowing, much more environment friendly. But where I have small patches of green grass, that's what it will be. Looks great, we like it. Do what you like with your own yard.
I transplanted one of the violet-like plants this morning. Be interesting to see if it takes root in the woods.
m:

why not in the grass? they are pretty in the spring, low growing (don't need mowing) & stay green. i have both violet & white violets, strawberries, johnny-jump-ups & thyme growing in my lawn. i'm not growing a golf course. lee

There's a very wide spectrum from golf-course to lawn to weeds.
Not everyone is satisfied with weeds with a little grass mixed in.

And not everyone is satisfied with golf courses, that just ruin a good walk.

Don't hear from you as often as I would like. Hope you are well. No need to reply.
In article

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.- Unattributed