Sick peonies.

I have transplanted about 20 peonies within the last couple of years. Some bloomed the following year and some have not bloomed for me ever. I was told that they were probably put too deep into the ground, so I raised several of them up some. Now most look OK and have buds on, but they havent opened. Some have bloomed and have quit for the year. Some have one or two leaves that look curled up from insects. And some have all the leaves looking like they are trying to close up.

I have them all on two soaker hoses (one 35 ft long and one 65 ft long). I leave the water on for 30 to 45 minutes every 4 or 5 days, and the dirt is moist around the plants. Could I be giving them too much water or could they not be getting enough? I havent given them any fertalizer for going on

2 years now.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get them going for next year? I have been told that it takes a couple of years after transplanting to get them to respond, but two bloomed this year after being moved last fall.

Thanks in advance.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Peonies can take as long as 3 yrs to start blooming again. They should be back to full flower production by the third or fourth year.They do not like being moved. Are they planted deeper than 2 inches?

Reply to
Elaine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

I don't know, I didn't measure. I put them down so the red shoots were visible above ground like they were before transplanting them.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Mine are in full sun now after transplanting. When I planted them I had about 80 feet of sidewalk and driveway to border with flowers. I planted an iris, rose, iris, peony, iris, rose, iris peony etc. I wanted to have flowers blooming all year. I thought I had given them plenty of room but this year the roses and iris have spread out and it looks like a solid wall of flowers. I could divide the iris now that they have finished blooming. I did get rid of most of the spotted leaf problems on the roses.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne