Shredder/Chiipper

I am looking at getting a shredder/chipper. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to look for? How important is the reduction radio and the HP? Thanks. Kathy Brown
I've used a few chipper/shredders. The more HP the better. Get at least a 5 HP, 10 is better. I like the ones you can lower the chute to the ground so you can rake leaves into it. For the chipper chute, the area where it attaches to the body of the machine is subject to extreme forces. For that reason, a cast transistion piece is a good design. Wear safety protection (ear plugs, goggles, gloves, heavy pants, tight-fitting dust mask.)
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:32:55 -0500, "Jeff & Kathy Brown"

Home Depot rents them and we are renting one. I believe for 24 hours it is about 80 dollars and can easily shred anything up to 3" diameter.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:32:55 -0500, "Jeff & Kathy Brown"

escape wrote:

That may be a good option for some folks, but a decent chipper/shredder that will handle 3" branches can be had for less than $800. Once you use it the 10th time, it's paid for itself. If I were to rent, I'd probably rent twice a year, so after five years, buying is better.
Another question is do I want to store the chipper, or store the debris I want to chip until I rent the chipper.
And yet another consideration is how do I get the rental home and back? If I have to rent a truck or trailer each time, too, my break even point comes much sooner than 5 years.
Most of the folks in my neighborhood bypass the whole decision, and get the debris hauled off each week in the yard waste collection container. I opted for a 5 hp chipper/shredder which I ran at least once a week last fall, and this spring. It's actually ran more than my rototiller or leaf vac, but not as often as my lawn mower.
I don't regret buying any of them, although I can understand why what works for me wouldn't work for everyone.
--
Warren H.

==========

Only if the chipper doesn't require any repairs, spare parts, sharpening or servicing during that five years. Which would be pretty unusual :-(
Janet
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Okay. Let's off-set that over the cost of renting a truck or trailer to get the rental to and from the store. Living close enough to the store that I don't need a truck or trailer would be pretty unusual, too.
--
Warren H.

So, how close do you live to the nearest service workshop, and who pays to get the shredder to and from there for sharpening, fixing etc?
Janet
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Most maintenance, including oil changes, and blade replacement, can be self-done. Blades can then be carried to a shop to be sharpened.
There are also mobile services that will come out and service lawn and garden equipment. The on-site service doesn't cost more because the service doesn't need to pay the overhead costs of a retail store front. Also, many lawn and garden equipment repair shops have free pick-up and delivery, especially for customers who own more than just a single lawn mower. There's a half dozen equipment repair shops that want my business enough to come to me at no additional charge.
Oh, and when I bought it, it was delivered free. The rental stores don't do that for retail customers. At least not in this area.
--
Warren H.