Shredded paper mulch

We've been shredding old records. I seem to recall that shredded paper makes a good mulch. Is this so? Anybody have experience with it?
Wolf K wrote:

It depends on the paper, and how much bleach and other chemicals is in it.

What kind of ink is on the paper?
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

El_Lobo snipped-for-privacy@Ruddy.Moss.com says...

I generate far too much paperwork at the office (insurance agency), so I've been using shredder output in the garden for some time. Works very well, holds up for several months, gets tilled into the ground in the fall and decomposes over the winter. When I have too much for mulch, I composte it directly, works fine there, too.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Wolf K wrote:

I use the output from my shredder around camellias and azaleas. I lay it out quite thick and wet it.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean