Serious suggestions needed for Eastern Coast Florida resident, Zhan I could use YOUR help!

I am posting this for serious suggestions needed for an Eastern coastal Florida resident. Below is the quoted questions.....Zhan, I could use your help here!

I need an evergreen shade tree that doesn't grow over 25 ft high, spreads out to give broad shade, has small leaves and gives a lacy shade. grows well in FL, has a good root system and strong trunk to resist hurricane damage or blowdown.

I had a FLorida mahogany which was a wonderful shade tree except the trunk got too large very fast, then split and damaged the neighbor's shed. Not only is the wood too soft for strength, but it would eventually have grown to about 90 ft high. It also was a breeding ground for sugar ants.

So far my search has come up with almost sartisfactory: hybrid locust, golden rain or the dark red ones. "Shade Master, I think. Maybe they would grow in FL, but if they are seasonal and drop their leaves in winter, I wouldn't want them. I also looked at podocarpus which could make a dense tree hedge, but I don't know which sub species or hybrid would stop gaining hight at 20 to 25 ft.

That lets out Podocarpus Macrophyllia, which was a fantastic hedge, but required constant pruining and grew tall so rapidly I cut them down.

Any ideas,- suggestions would be appreciated."

Send serious suggestions and responses to snipped-for-privacy@vic.com and I'll pass them on to Clem Clammer........

Reply to
madgardener