salt content of rabbit pellets...

I have recently been purchasing bags of rabbit pellets as an organic fertilizer for both my lawn and plants. I have read a few minor concerns over the salt content though. The bags I use say anywhere from .3 to .6% salt. Is this high enough to make an issue of? It seems to be quite low to me, but I'm hardly an expert on the subject.
Would repeated applications cause a salt buildup or are the levels equal to naturally occurring salts? Is this a higher salt % than chemical fertilizers? I would greatly appreciate any info on this, as I don't want to keep doing it and find out too late that I screwed my whole yard :). Thanks.

I always thought that you had to first feed it to the rabbit and extract the fertilizer from the other end. ;-)
Dave http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Robert) wrote in message

Salt leaches out, it depends on your rainfall amounts. Why not hook up with a rabbit keeper and get some rabbit manure?
Robert said:

I've been using alfalfa pellets mainly, rabbit pellets sometimes for fertilizing. Excellent choice. My native soil is very sandy and these provide OM, micronutrients, and slow-release nitrogen. I suggest you buy rabbit pellets with a high percentage of alfalfa or 'forage greens' vs. grains (which tend to be cheaper anyway). If you have access to a feed store which stocks supples for horses, straight alfalfa pellets would be cheaper yet.

I doubt that it would be a problem unless you are growing in a very difficult climate and soil area (where you are totally dependent on irrigation water, for instance).
Chemical fertilizers may contain salts of various types (potassium salts, fior instance).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI