salt content of rabbit pellets...

I have recently been purchasing bags of rabbit pellets as an organic fertilizer for both my lawn and plants. I have read a few minor concerns over the salt content though. The bags I use say anywhere from .3 to .6% salt. Is this high enough to make an issue of? It seems to be quite low to me, but I'm hardly an expert on the subject.

Would repeated applications cause a salt buildup or are the levels equal to naturally occurring salts? Is this a higher salt % than chemical fertilizers? I would greatly appreciate any info on this, as I don't want to keep doing it and find out too late that I screwed my whole yard :). Thanks.

Reply to
Robert

fertilizer for both my lawn and plants>>

I always thought that you had to first feed it to the rabbit and extract the fertilizer from the other end. ;-)

Dave

DavesVideo

Salt leaches out, it depends on your rainfall amounts. Why not hook up with a rabbit keeper and get some rabbit manure?

Reply to
Beecrofter

I've been using alfalfa pellets mainly, rabbit pellets sometimes for fertilizing. Excellent choice. My native soil is very sandy and these provide OM, micronutrients, and slow-release nitrogen. I suggest you buy rabbit pellets with a high percentage of alfalfa or 'forage greens' vs. grains (which tend to be cheaper anyway). If you have access to a feed store which stocks supples for horses, straight alfalfa pellets would be cheaper yet.

I doubt that it would be a problem unless you are growing in a very difficult climate and soil area (where you are totally dependent on irrigation water, for instance).

Chemical fertilizers may contain salts of various types (potassium salts, fior instance).

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz