relocating to California

Page 2 of 3
I was going to write and say something like "lucky you, trading Anywhere, Texas for California." Then I saw you're moving to Fresno... Shrug.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:26:48 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith

Yes, they tell me the San Joaquin Valley is the Texas of California!

Do you mean because it is Red Neck country :) (I have family in that area of CA) or because it is farming land?
I forgot to add that the border people are really serious about you not bringing plants into CA. Unless you have a serious attachment to your house plants I would really consider not taking them. Houseplants are easy and inexpensive to get in CA (or anywhere now with places like Home Depot). They also thrive and grow quickly if you have them outside most of the year so you can start with small plants and have something large in short order. Your pots are probably more of an investment then the plants (and this is coming from someone who moved plants from CA to NJ to CT to NY).... DK
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/faq_hse_plnts.htm

Yep, that is why I sent it. On re-reading what I posted I see that I said "serious about you not bringing in plants" when what I meant was serious about checking for what you bring in (they may or may not let you bring in your plant)... sorry about that. DK

Yes, I realize what you meant to say earlier! I'm still trying to decide if I am going to bareroot them and have them go that way or leave them in their pots (perhaps putting them in fresh Miracle Gro potting soil).

You know, Hope, I wouldn't bare root at the time you leave, wait until you are almost to Calif and do it then. Or even wait until you see what the inspector has to say and do it at the station, if there is a problem. It seems to me that orchids, at least, would not have any disease of concern. (Just like the inspector isn't concerned when you have bananas) Bring a bag of sterile potting soil and repot them down the road. I don't think the inspector is going to rip the plants from your trembling hands!!LOL They have always been quite reasonable people if you are honest with them. "quick and painless" ha ha OTOH it may be that you will be lucky and the station will not even be open on the day you get here......... Let us all know how it goes. When will you be moving?
Emilie NorCal
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MLEBLANCA) wrote in writes:

LOL, maybe it won't be! We are leaving on Sunday the 10th, and we are guessing we'll get there on the 12th or so.
Orchids... Silly me... I thought we were talking common house plants (I still have my evil pregnant onion plant I brought from CA to out east 20+ years ago - anyone want any babies?). I did not see the original post so my 2 cents aren't worth ... well 2 cents. Good luck transporting your beauties. I know I did not have a problem bringing in orchids from Hawaii to CA. (they don't really need potting soil though so I'm confused about this as an issue). DK
writes:

Well, I have both orchids and some common house plants. And lucky bamboo!
writes:

I lived in Austin for four years, and it was good, if you had to live in Texas. The thing about Fresno is that you're an easy drive to Sacramento, to San Francisco, to Tahoe and just about anywhere in the middle to northern California area. You're only a 5-6 hour drive to Disneyland, too. Heck, it's easier to get to than Houston is from Austin.
Have fun!
Philip

Yes, we feel the same way about Austin, if you have to live in Texas, that is the best place to be!

A friend's family lives in Fresno. He is near the coast and hosts a "Beat the Heat Day" a couple of times every summer. ALL of the relatives show up.
Austin doesn't have the Tule Fog all winter either. 20' visibility and 38 degrees
I would take Fresno over Austin any day... but then I'm from San Berdo, CA where it gets a bit hotter than Fresno.... Remember - its a "dry" heat :) DK

snipped-for-privacy@Underworld.com wrote in

We are moving to Fresno, which has about the same climate as Austin. Maybe a little dryer. I decided to give away just about everything, and start over with new plants in California.

The object, as Hope indicated, is not to 'sneak' plants into Calif., but to find information on what can/cannot be brought in.
Hope -- have you discovered:
http://134.186.235.120/phpps/pe/faq_hse_plnts.htm
This is the CA dept. of ag's FAQ on your question.

Yes, I have looked at this, and it is very ambiguous. Basically, it says you can try to bring whatever you like, but we may dump it on the side of the road if we don't like the looks of it.
at this, and it is very ambiguous. Basically, it says

I think the main thing they're looking for is unwanted bugs, such as fire ants (dear God make sure you're not bringing any, please) and fruit flies. Fruit plants are usually the most looked at, and from what you're talking about bringing I don't think you'll have a problem.
Now then, where in our fine state is your final destination?
Philip

Don't toss your good plants. Bring them and offer them for inspection at the border station. At least root cuttings from all of your favorites and bring them!
I grew up in Calif. My mom is a horticulturist. We travelled extensively all over the west. My mom used to *fill* the car with plants, then try to stuff my little brother and me in there somewhere. She inspected every- thing before she bought it, and never had anything taken away upon inspection.
In Fresno, you can grow *everything.* Fruit trees, nut trees, tomatoes right outdoors, herbs like crazy. That isn't my favorite town in the state, but boy, howdy, is it a great area for gardening! You can run up into the Sierra when it gets too hot : )
Jan, in Alaska
snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (Jan Flora) wrote:

Yes, that's what we plan to do!

Yes, I'm going to repot everything in fresh soil, except for the lucky bamboo, which is in water of course.

Yay!

I forget whether Hope said anything about being familiar with Fresno or whether it's a new place for her, so apologies if this is redundant information, but the Forestiere Underground Gardens are definitely worth a visit. (For those who don't know, there are lots of openings in the roof of the house that let light in for the plants.)
Patty