Red hot pokers - how to prune?

I have two red hot pokers in the front garden - next to the house

They are prob about 2 years old now. They have gone crazy!

How can I reduce the size or dig up and move as they are not th easiest of things to prune.

Has anyone else had success with them

-- gardencottage

Reply to
gardencottage

These are really tough guys. I have dug up and divided several times. I cut the "leaves" back so the plant is about 8" tall, then dig up and pull apart. I was not sure cutting the leaves back would be a good thing

- could not find any info about dividing them, so took a chance - but they bounce right back. Gives you a chance to also pull out all the brown dead parts under leaves. Tidy them up a bit. Plant the divisions and soon they will need to be divided!

I have several varieties - I have some that get really huge - flower> I have two red hot pokers in the front garden - next to the house >

Reply to
Sterling