Red hot pokers - how to prune?

I have two red hot pokers in the front garden - next to the house
They are prob about 2 years old now. They have gone crazy!
How can I reduce the size or dig up and move as they are not th easiest of things to prune.
Has anyone else had success with them
-- gardencottage
These are really tough guys. I have dug up and divided several times. I cut the "leaves" back so the plant is about 8" tall, then dig up and pull apart. I was not sure cutting the leaves back would be a good thing - could not find any info about dividing them, so took a chance - but they bounce right back. Gives you a chance to also pull out all the brown dead parts under leaves. Tidy them up a bit. Plant the divisions and soon they will need to be divided!
I have several varieties - I have some that get really huge - flowering stems about 4' high - and some little ones that don't get more than 2' high.