Re: the answer is yes

I'm envious. While cleaning out my backyard when I first moved here I found black plastic bags that someone had used to gather weeds/leaves and forgotten about. I opened them up and discovered real treasure. Every year I wished I had enough leaves to compost this way buy I need them all to cover my shade garden. DK

Yes, I did that a couple of times until I came home with bags of leaves that were filled with garbage (plastic, metal, etc.) ... I'm not sure if I'm willing to risk going through that fun again (I was not paying attention as I dumped bag after bag before looking at what I was dumping out). Until the town changed its policy and started insisting on people putting their leaves in bags I would go to the near neighbors and take all the leaves they had put on the curb, rake them onto a tarp and pull them into my yard. I loved my neighbor that was foolish enough to rake the pine needles up from under his trees and put them on the curb. When the city would do spring and fall pickups of whatever lawn matter you put on the curb people would put entire plants out. My best curbside pickup was dozens of hostas that a woman decided weren't what she wanted under her tree (she thought impatiens would look better - they couldn't compete with the tree roots and were a complete failure). Some days it amazes me what people throw out. My yard is filled with these treasures. Everything from a dozen glorious spirea to several full grown azaleas. I think these are my favorite plants because I saved them from a sure death. DKat