Re: Pruning oregano (and other herbs)

Hi Peter, General rule of thumb with herbs is that you snip it down before it flowers. The pungency of the herb lessens during flowering. You can snip it frequently for your culinary requirements, but don't snip it down to the base.Just take an inch or two off every time. This will also delay it's flowering J.Lane

J. Lane wrote:

I have a Purple Ruffles Basil that I bought more for the garden and than the kitchen, it just started blooming. Can I just deadhead the flowers?
Janine
HI Janine, Been my experience that once it flowers, it's too late to get the full essence of the herb. You can still prune or harvest it, but the strength of the flavour won't be as good. I've mass harvested flowering and non flowering herbs. Cut them down to 4 or 5" from the base of the plant and snip off any flowers, tie the stems together, hang them upside-down to dry, and remove the dried leaves from the stems over a cookie sheet. Put in a labelled jar for winter use. Cool huh? J.Lane