Rabbits gnawing bark on small tress, how to...

How do you stop rabbits from gnawing the bark off trees? Could I loosely wrap the lower part of the tree with burlap? Is there a better way?
Thanks
BillC wrote:

You could buy them some rabbit chow.
USDA Zone 8b
snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com says... :) How do you stop rabbits from gnawing the bark off trees? :) Could I loosely wrap the lower part of the tree with burlap? :) Is there a better way? :) :) :) The rabbit chow Travis mentioned probably would work. There are repellents you can spray on the tree or what ever they may be chewing on, next fall you might plant a patch of winter grass that will attract them away from the ornamentals.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

sure you wrap above snow line as bunnies are particularly attracted to bark when ground is snow covered. Frank

You can use a spiral plastic rabbit-guard, which expands as the tree grows but still lets air get to the bark and water drain away. Buy them cheapest from tree-suppliers and nurseries, rather than garden centres.
Janet
Circle the trunk with fencing. Galvanized hardware cloth is a good choice.

I don't think that's a good idea. Somewon might slip and poke an eye out with won of the swords.

I find a .22 works quite well. chaz
i agree with chaz.

I have used hardware cloth with excellent success against rodents. Deer are more of problem around here, but unfortunately using firearms is illegal here.