Rabbits gnawing bark on small tress, how to...

How do you stop rabbits from gnawing the bark off trees? Could I loosely wrap the lower part of the tree with burlap? Is there a better way?

Thanks

Reply to
BillC

You could buy them some rabbit chow.

Reply to
Travis

The message from "BillC" contains these words:

You can use a spiral plastic rabbit-guard, which expands as the tree grows but still lets air get to the bark and water drain away. Buy them cheapest from tree-suppliers and nurseries, rather than garden centres.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

In article , snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com says... :) How do you stop rabbits from gnawing the bark off trees? :) Could I loosely wrap the lower part of the tree with burlap? :) Is there a better way? :) :) :) The rabbit chow Travis mentioned probably would work. There are repellents you can spray on the tree or what ever they may be chewing on, next fall you might plant a patch of winter grass that will attract them away from the ornamentals.

Reply to
Lar

When trees were small, I used a treated corrugated paper type wrap. Make sure you wrap above snow line as bunnies are particularly attracted to bark when ground is snow covered. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Circle the trunk with fencing. Galvanized hardware cloth is a good choice.

Reply to
figaro

Don't blame me. I voted for figaro .

I don't think that's a good idea. Somewon might slip and poke an eye out with won of the swords.

Reply to
Wavy G

I find a .22 works quite well. chaz

Reply to
Charlie In PV

Reply to
Bert

I have used hardware cloth with excellent success against rodents. Deer are more of problem around here, but unfortunately using firearms is illegal here.

Reply to
Phisherman